GFCI for submersible pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
I have 0.75 KW, 60Hz , single phase , 220 V , submersible pump and i have some questions:

1- is it recommended by NEC, that feed from emergency power supply?

2- is it recommended by NEC, that using GFCI for circuit protection?

Please advice

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have 0.75 KW, 60Hz , single phase , 220 V , submersible pump and i have some questions:

1- is it recommended by NEC, that feed from emergency power supply?
Emergency loads in the NEC have a very specific meaning (or several specific meanings.) You are probably looking at optional backup systems. The NEC does not specify backup systems at all, just tells you how to wire them up if you have them.

If the well is needed for fire protection, you may have a real NEC or fire code mandate for backup.

As a practical matter, if you have a backup generator system because of frequent or long power outages, it would be a good idea to be able to run your pump from that backup supply when you choose to.

There is no requirement for GFCI for such a circuit, and there might be a serious problem with false trips if the wires to the pump are particularly long.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with GoldDigger and will only mention that if the system is a true NEC emergency system you cannot add loads to that the AHJ does not deem emergency equipment without adding additional transfer switches and panel boards. Of course this assumes the generator is large enough to carry the additional load.

Status
Not open for further replies.