GFCI in gyms.

I dont have my code book handy at the moment, but a person claimed that gfcis are required in gyms. I said its not, but is required for locker rooms.

Gfci would be a more of a hindrance and safety hazard in the gym vs being of good use. In my opinion.

Am I correct on the code not r requiring gfcsi in gyms?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
To say a GFCI is required in a GYM would be like saying a GFCI is required in a house.

Yes, GFI protection may be required for some outlets located in a GYM, but, the GFI protection is based on the location of the outlets, not the description of the space the outlets are going in.

JAP>

To say a GFCI is required in a GYM would be like saying a GFCI is required in a house.

Yes, GFI protection may be required for some outlets located in a GYM, but, the GFI protection is based on the location of the outlets, not the description of the space the outlets are going in.

JAP>
Lol. I understand. Well these outlets are not in a locker room nor are they 6ft of a sink.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Lol. I understand. Well these outlets are not in a locker room nor are they 6ft of a sink.

There again, the code is not going to define GFI protection needed in a "Locker Room" nor within 6ft of a sink.

It's going to depend on a lot more information as far as location of the outlet, voltage, amperage Etc....

JAP>

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
There again, the code is not going to define GFI protection needed in a "Locker Room" nor within 6ft of a sink.
2023NEC Does under this condition: 210.8(B)(9) Locker rooms with associated showering facilities.

a person claimed that gfcis are required in gyms.
Nothing in code specifying this. But 406.12 does require TR receptacles 406.12(6)Places of awaiting transportation, gymnasiums, skating rinks, fitness centers, and auditoriums

It's going to depend on a lot more information as far as location of the outlet, voltage, amperage Etc....

JAP>

Finally got home to see my 2020 NEC. 6ft of a sink and Locker rooms are listed.

2020 NEC 210.8 (B) Other Than Dwelling Units. (5) Sinks-where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink (7) Locker rooms with associated showering facilities

No gyms listed in general for GFCI protection.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

2020 NEC 210.8 (B) Other Than Dwelling Units. (5) Sinks-where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink (7) Locker rooms with associated showering facilities

A couple more code cycles and the rule will be if you can plug something in it, it has to be GFI and AFCI protected regardless of voltage or amperage.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
A couple more code cycles and the rule will be if you can plug something in it, it has to be GFI and AFCI protected regardless of voltage or amperage.

GFCI wouldn’t be bad really. The technology has been proven to work, and it’s much like over current protection.

AFCI, on the other hand……..😡😡😡

GFCI wouldn’t be bad really. The technology has been proven to work, and it’s much like over current protection.

AFCI, on the other hand……..😡😡😡
I believe they both would be bad to put them everywhere in the gym. Can you imagine running on a treadmill and then suddenly the gfci/afci trip and it suddenly stops and you keep running right into the control panel?? YIKES, a safety issue right there and a possible lawsuit waiting to happen.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can you imagine running on a treadmill and then suddenly the gfci/afci trip and it suddenly stops and you keep running right into the control panel??
I'm pretty sure that treadmills have too much rotating flywheel mass to stop that quickly.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'm pretty sure that treadmills have too much rotating flywheel mass to stop that quickly.
Maybe you meant an elliptical. My treadmill does not have a flywheel.
walk on a treadmill and pull the kill key. You'd be surprised how quickly it stops.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Would I have to GFI protect a Hubbell L720R ?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I believe that's a 277volt receptacle, the NEC says 125 to 250 volts receptacles. So I would say no.

Bingo,, :)

GFI protection for receptacles installed within 6' of a sink depends on more than just being within 6' of a sink.

Jap>

Would I have to GFI protect a Hubbell L720R ?

JAP>

Bingo,, :)

GFI protection for receptacles installed within 6' of a sink depends on more than just being within 6' of a sink.

Jap>
No one claimed it wasnt. Most receptacles near a sink especial cleaning sinks are 125 volt single phase 15 to 20 amp, so it would be required.

So I'm not sure what the point of your comment is since no one was even talking about 277 or 480 volt receptacles, in fact I have not seen any in a recreational gym area.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
No one claimed it wasnt. Most receptacles near a sink especial cleaning sinks are 125 volt single phase 15 to 20 amp, so it would be required.

So I'm not sure what the point of your comment is since no one was even talking about 277 or 480 volt receptacles, in fact I have not seen any in a recreational gym area.

Well you had quoted me in post #8 so I was just clarifying.

In the first post it was stated that GFCI's were required in "locker rooms"
Not "all" Locker Rooms, Locker rooms "with associated showering facilities" (so there was more to the rule).

also,

As far as the "within 6' of a sink rule"

Not "all" receptacles are required to be GFI protetected that are within 6' of a sink. (there's more to that rule also)

The Hubbell L720R would be one example of one that would not require GFI protection.

Just clarifying.

JAP>

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I believe they both would be bad to put them everywhere in the gym. Can you imagine running on a treadmill and then suddenly the gfci/afci trip and it suddenly stops and you keep running right into the control panel?? YIKES, a safety issue right there and a possible lawsuit waiting to happen.

Can you imagine running on a treadmill and an overcurrent situation develops, and the OCPD trips?

My only point is, GFCI‘s work. AFCI,s don’t.

Fire pumps are currently the only items,
(that I know of),that it’s considered better to allow the object to burn up, and its associated wiring, rather than have it shut off.

After all, its already on fire, so…..