GFCI in kitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not gotten the new 2020 nec. Are gfci protections required for kitchen stove outlets (240volt receptacle) now? I was told that gfci protection is required for dryers now (240volt), so the these old 3 wire bond the ground to the neutral frame installs appears to be going away even in just simple repairs or replacement of the receptacle.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Anything within 6 ft of an sink, 240 volt included. The door language was removed so a recp in hall if 6ft from a sink has to be GFCI protected. Having GFCI for range and dryer outlets will quickly show any ranges/dryer frames that are grounded via the neutral. Mike Holts Illustrated 2020 Changes book is great and the DVDs (4) that goes with is even better.
And outdoor outlets, IE HVAC as well.

Anything within 6 ft of an sink, 240 volt included. The door language was removed so a recp in hall if 6ft from a sink has to be GFCI protected. Having GFCI for range and dryer outlets will quickly show any ranges/dryer frames that are grounded via the neutral. Mike Holts Illustrated 2020 Changes book is great and the DVDs (4) that goes with is even better.
And outdoor outlets, IE HVAC as well.

So I wonder how is this being enforced in some areas. If a dryer (or stove) was working on a 3 wire set up. The receptacle goes bad and now you have to replace it, does this mean one has to make it gfci protected with replacedments? do they even make gfci 240 volt dryer receptacles? or is this for breakers only? and if that is the case is one going to have to repull a new wire (4 wire) circuit to make it code compliant when on a service call?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So I wonder how is this being enforced in some areas. If a dryer (or stove) was working on a 3 wire set up. The receptacle goes bad and now you have to replace it, does this mean one has to make it gfci protected with replacedments? do they even make gfci 240 volt dryer receptacles? or is this for breakers only? and if that is the case is one going to have to repull a new wire (4 wire) circuit to make it code compliant when on a service call?

I don't think that is required--certainly not in NC and I suspect most places would not require a new circuit when doing a replacement

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have a general replace-like-with-like allowance where a similar replacement does not require meeting present code, and sometimes not even a permit/inspection. Examples are 3-wire entrance cables when not upgrading, panel over laundry, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.