GFCI Neutral Sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am working on a job for a favor. Client. We all know how that goes.

I have from service 2- 120 volt circuits, 1 neutral, 1 gr. # 12.

I have a pump 12 amp, 120volt needs its own circuit.

And then I have a pool light, and a electronic start heat under 5.5 amp.s

Problem is the Light and heat are on a remote gft device/receptacle. And nothing on pump.

How do i run gfci to pump and other assembly with two circuits and only one neutral.

I tried to pull a new circuit couldnt move the wires. Why do people constantly share neutrals. I never do and dont believe in it on branch circuits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You can have one neutral with 2 hot conductors. It is called a MWBC and you can make this work by installing GFCI recep for the light and then feed the other circuit from the line side of the neutral and add another recep. You can also use a DP GFCI at the panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How do i run gfci to pump and other assembly with two circuits and only one neutral.
As Dennis so valiantly tried to say (;)), as long as each GFCI receptacle receives its neutral connection at or after the point at which it splits, standard such devices work just fine.

In other words, just wire the pump GFCI the same way the existing one is now, presuming it's working, of course.

Why do people constantly share neutrals. I never do and dont believe in it on branch circuits.
There's nothing wrong with MWBC's in the right installations, despite the difficulties new regulations have caused.

Remember, your home's service is one.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I tried to pull a new circuit couldnt move the wires. Why do people constantly share neutrals. I never do and dont believe in it on branch circuits.

Reading that comment makes me want to say "I share 'em just to cause people like you grief." Just because you don't understand why doesn't mean everybody else doesn't.

hurk27

Because of 680.22(A)(1)(2) we use a faceless GFCI device in a WP box for your very exact type of installation.
Using one of those Arlington post with two outlet openings, one on each side, we put the faceless on one side and the locking receptacle on the other using inuse covers for both one deep for the locking recept, one shallow for the faceless, makes for a very neet installation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Please keep it non-personal, guys, or the Mod Squad will step in, and it won't be pretty.

mark32

Because of 680.22(A)(1)(2) we use a faceless GFCI device in a WP box for your very exact type of installation.
Using one of those Arlington post with two outlet openings, one on each side, we put the faceless on one side and the locking receptacle on the other using inuse covers for both one deep for the locking recept, one shallow for the faceless, makes for a very neet installation.

I like it, that would be a nice install.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Since you mentioned pool light + other equipment and ONE ground for this 3 wire circuit, you might want to take a look at 680.23(F) as to the requirements for an unbroken ground. It would appear you might have a violation of that Section.

hurk27

Since you mentioned pool light + other equipment and ONE ground for this 3 wire circuit, you might want to take a look at 680.23(F) as to the requirements for an unbroken ground. It would appear you might have a violation of that Section.

You might want to look at 680.23(F)(2)(b)
He did say is went to a GFCI?

We get many pools with a listed light that has about 50' of12/3c SJOOW cord sticking out of the PVC pipe fitting in the back of the forming shell, there is also a #8 green insulated grounding conductor of the same length coming out there too that will run to the termination point. again we use a faceless GFCI device in a Arlington post with a in-use cover, the grounding conductor as well as the SJOOW is potted by the manufacture in the fixture.

I have had some lights that had the same 50' of 12/3c SJOOW cord, but didn't have the grounding conductor, just a lug on the outside which we always connected the equal potential #8 to, these had a metal hub which we ran RMC to.

hurk27

Just to let others who might not know what an Arlington post is, here is an example of the one I use, there are many configurations.

attachment.php

which can be found Here

Hit the prevous button to go back to the list of other ones, at the top of the list.

Last edited:

glene77is

ForDean,
I am involved in a Renovation between a Bath and a Kitchen.
I have pulled 4 circuits via two 12-3wg Romex cables, to the Kitchen & Dine areas, plus the Disposal/Dishwasher MWB circuit.
There will be four Appliance circuits sharing two neutrals, on GFCI, and I don't expect any trouble. Never had any in the past.
The MWB for the Disposal/Dishwasher don't have to be GFCI.

Good Luck,
and try to learn about this technology.

:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.