GFCI not recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
210.8(A)(7) Sinks - where receptacles are installed within 1.S m
(6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

Kitchen designed with range w/in 6' of sink.....

New 30" slide in gas range (major manufacturer) fed via afci/gfci combo brkr and wiring installed to the '14 trips on operation of unit

So.....does this qualify as a 110.3(B) >>>>>(copied from the manufacturers instructions)
Electrical Requlrements
120 volt, 60 Hertz, properly grounded dedicated circuit
protected by a 15 amp circuit breaker or time delay
fuse.

Note: Not recommended to be installed with a Ground
Fault lnterrupt (GFl).

Do not use an extension cord with this range.

~RJ~

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Kitchen designed with range w/in 6' of sink.....

New 30" slide in gas range (major manufacturer) fed via afci/gfci combo brkr and wiring installed to the '14 trips on operation of unit

Note: Not recommended to be installed with a Ground
Fault lnterrupt (GFl).
So.....does this qualify as a 110.3(B) >>>>>(copied from the manufacturers instructions)

~RJ~

"Not recommended" doesn't get you out of shall be GFI protected.
Since it's new I'd tell my customer that they need to get another one delivered.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
"Not recommended" doesn't get you out of shall be GFI protected.
Since it's new I'd tell my customer that they need to get another one delivered.
Agreed, we run into this every now and then in new commercial kitchens. One not long ago was a few pieces of equipment that would trip the GFCI when the units were shut down, the manufacturer had the "Note: Not recommended to be installed with a Ground
Fault lnterrupt (GFl)."
disclaimer. Of course we were asked to do away with the GFCI and we refused telling them to contact the manufacturer for a solution.

The manufacturer told them to note the disclaimer and the owner told them they could have their equipment back. I don't know what manufacturers equipment they finally used.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
Been running into this with some fancy Italian juicers. Very expensive machines and the customers not pleased when it will not work on a GFCI.

peter d

I would remove the AFCI/GFCI breaker faster than it can trip. :thumbsup:

Let me amend that - for some reason I thought this was a dedicated circuit feeding the range. It sounds like countertop receptacles may be involved as well. In that case, I would not remove the GFCI protection. A dedicated circuit feeding a fridge? In a second.

user 100

Agreed, we run into this every now and then in new commercial kitchens. One not long ago was a few pieces of equipment that would trip the GFCI when the units were shut down, the manufacturer had the "Note: Not recommended to be installed with a Ground
Fault lnterrupt (GFl)."
disclaimer. Of course we were asked to do away with the GFCI and we refused telling them to contact the manufacturer for a solution.

The manufacturer told them to note the disclaimer and the owner told them they could have their equipment back. I don't know what manufacturers equipment they finally used.

Roger

X2- in a new install you are required to gfci within 6' in this instance, but you are not required to accommodate a particular gas range within 6' of sink that won't play nice with gfci. The customer can return/exchange the unit or if they want it that bad they can move it or the sink-its a manufacturer/customer issue.

sparkyrick

Let me amend that - for some reason I thought this was a dedicated circuit feeding the range. It sounds like countertop receptacles may be involved as well. In that case, I would not remove the GFCI protection. A dedicated circuit feeding a fridge? In a second.

Not in a commercial kitchen though.

jumper

I'm still on the 08 code, so pardon the question........ANY 120v receptacle within 6' of the sink needs gfci protection regardless of the height in the 14 code?

NEC 2014

210.8(A)
(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m
(6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

Currently added in the 2017 ROP:

For the purposes of this section, when determining distance from receptacles the distance shall be measured as the shortest path the cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier, or passing through a door, doorway, or window.

bphgravity

Suggesting someone should break the law by removing a safety device mandated by the code is shameful and not something a true electrical professional would recommend or condone. Not liking a law or rule is no excuse to not comply with it. If you guys hate the electrical industry so much, perhaps you should go sell used cars where this type of behavior is tolerated.

Unbelievable...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I guess putting an isolation transformer on the equipment side of the plug would allow the unit to be plugged into a GFCI without tripping it.

growler

There is no way in hell I would own an appliance or piece of equipment that could not be on a GFCI.

No and it really bothers me the way they take advantage of customers. They should be forced to disclose this sort of information and what difficulty it can mean before they sell an appliance to the customer.

If you go out to install an appliance (run a new circuit or they have problem) you don't notice anything until you see that little sticker on the appliance cord.

peter d

Suggesting someone should break the law by removing a safety device mandated by the code is shameful and not something a true electrical professional would recommend or condone. Not liking a law or rule is no excuse to not comply with it. If you guys hate the electrical industry so much, perhaps you should go sell used cars where this type of behavior is tolerated.

Unbelievable...

Oh, aren't you all high and mighty. :roll: Consider the scam that you continue to defend, you're the last person who should be talking.

jumper

No and it really bothers me the way they take advantage of customers. They should be forced to disclose this sort of information and what difficulty it can mean before they sell an appliance to the customer.

If you go out to install an appliance (run a new circuit or they have problem) you don't notice anything until you see that little sticker on the appliance cord.

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.