GFCI not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Hoping I can get a pass here as this is a DIY....and I ask a lot of none DIY questions ;). I tried to plug my xmas lights in the GFCI and they did not work although my electrical tester showed that there was voltage. I switched it to the regular white one that you see and when I plugged in the lights it worked so I figured the outlet must be bad. Went to Home Depot and bought another GFCI and hooked it up and it did not work...obviously it must be something with the wiring but I switched the neutral and hot around. Why is the regular outlet working? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 0

G._S._Ohm

I tried to plug my xmas lights in the GFCI and they did not work although my electrical tester showed that there was voltage.

and when I plugged in the lights it worked

bought another GFCI and hooked it up and it did not work.

Intermittent xmas lights? Jostle the lights and see if they still work.
Intermittent bad connection in the wall? Put a heavy load on the outlet and see how much the voltage drops. 2.5v at 10A is about normal.

mstrlucky74

Intermittent xmas lights? Jostle the lights and see if they still work.
Intermittent bad connection in the wall? Put a heavy load on the outlet and see how much the voltage drops. 2.5v at 10A is about normal.

But I think it has to do only with the wiring.:? I plugged five different things(non xmas and xmas stuff) and nothing worked. As soon as I used the standard outlet everything that i plugged in worked.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Was the reset button pushed in?

BTW, where is the ground wire? And arent those wires reversed?

Last edited:

mstrlucky74

Was the reset button pushed in?

BTW, where is the ground wire? And arent those wires reversed?

I tried to push the reset. and nothing. The ground wire is attached to the ground screw in the box. I switched the wores back and forth just to see....and nothing. Thanks.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
sounds like you put the wires on the load side of the gfi

Unless he has moved the sticker covering the load terminals, I don't think that's it. One possibility is an open neutral on a multiwire circuit, but not likely. Another possibility is that is a switch leg, not a power wire. A load could possibly work such as a light if it is in series with a low impedance load, but not enough voltage to power the electronics in the gfi for it to latch, though that's even a stretch. The ground is not necessary for the gfi to work, so that wouldn't be it. Just armchair guesstimating without some actual volt readings.

mstrlucky74

Will anything else work when plugged in the GFCI?

No and actually when I purchased the new GFCI I did not mess around with the reset/test buttons. Maybe I should have pressed them:dunce:......I returned the outlet but I guess I will go back to HD right now and buy it again and try. Just back from Walmart with some lighted candy canes..lol...:):rant:....wife loves me but my hands are frozen....all day out there yesterday and today doing this stuff. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
BTW, this is a diy project and we really don't allow this. I think you have gotten enough info- hopefully you won't hurt yourself-

Status
Not open for further replies.