GFCI on Ovens

smitters24

Occupation
Electrician
Good day all, maybe yall can shed some light on a issue that we have. GFCI trips when the oven is turned on. Happening on every unit of a 64 unit apartment complex. We have gone back to the manufacturer of the oven and they say it is there problem. They say they did not have to be compliant until july of this year with the code changes. My question, has anybody else had this problem if so what was the solution. Is there a solution other than get different ovens?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Good day all, maybe yall can shed some light on a issue that we have. GFCI trips when the oven is turned on. Happening on every unit of a 64 unit apartment complex. We have gone back to the manufacturer of the oven and they say it is there problem. They say they did not have to be compliant until july of this year with the code changes. My question, has anybody else had this problem if so what was the solution. Is there a solution other than get different ovens?

I would talk with the authority having jurisdiction and see if they would allow you to remove the gfci.

smitters24

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks so far for the input. And yes we have gone round and round with AHJ to no avail. The owner will have to get new ovens for the remaining units and hope that they are to code. Doesnt help either when the manufacturer will not give a straight answer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks so far for the input. And yes we have gone round and round with AHJ to no avail. The owner will have to get new ovens for the remaining units and hope that they are to code. Doesnt help either when the manufacturer will not give a straight answer.
With resistance heating elements, it can be that the insulation in the CalRod elements is not completely dry, and needs to be dried out before they will work on a GFCI protected circuit. I doubt that new ones would be any different. This really should happen at the manufacturer's plant, but apparently it doesn't.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So if the project was permitted under the current code requirement, whoever purchased the ovens and the manufacturer are at fault. Sounds like there will be legal issues coming up.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It does not appear that UL 1026, Household Electric Cooking and Food Serving Appliances has any leakage current requirements for non-portable appliances supplied by a branch circuit rated over 20 amps. That is based on the revision published 9/29/2023 and is the most recent standard.

EDIT to add:

There is also a standard for ranges, UL 858, Household Electric Ranges that limits the leakage current to 3.5mA for those products. The revision date for that standard was 8/2/2023.

Not sure how it is determined what standard a product is listed too.

Last edited:

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
I'm sure they checked to make sure the neutral bond strap in the ranges are correctly configured
We recently got a call from a appliance installer working for the GC finishing out a laundry room asking for 3-wire dryer receptacles, they wanted the old NEMA style, It took a little back and forth to get them to put the 4-wire cords on.
I had to go by the job replace a occupancy sensor and checked one of the dryers, they had a 4-wire cord but upon unplugging and testing with my fluke there was continuity ground pin to neutral.
So yeah I'd check it again, my self with my own meter.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Unfortunately this is what the NFPA does, they sit every 3 years and conjure up more regulations, as if this country needed more rules. :rolleyes::mad:

This is a major issue all over the place, where the Code requires one thing, and real world its an impossibility. It was huge when AFCI first came out.

I'm running into this with clothes dyers, washing machines, its an issue with some EV chargers....

I've heard of GFCI breakers being swapped for standard breakers after final inspection. I have no idea if that is true or not. :whistle:

But I'm in Outlaw Country, so there's that.........

But apparently all the millions of ranges and clothes dryers that have been installed for the last 80 years without GFCI protection, up until this year, are not killing vast segments of the population, so......

kwired

Electron manager
Some of the guys here have had success with operating the ovens on a standard breaker, until any moisture that happens to be in the elements, has evaporated.

Real PIA for 64 units.

Dennis has the better option.
Now what to do with 64 extra 50 amp GFCI breakers.
Install them temporarily in the next project and remove again when they don't hold there either ;) ;)

kwired

Electron manager
So if the project was permitted under the current code requirement, whoever purchased the ovens and the manufacturer are at fault. Sounds like there will be legal issues coming up.
If it complied with listing standards, particularly with any leakage requirements, at time of manufacture it should not be manufacturer's problem.

Kind of like saying your old 1970's automobile doesn't meet current emissions or safety standards and you can't use it if you don't bring it up to current standards.