GFCI on Ovens

Birken Vogt

Unfortunately this is what the NFPA does, they sit every 3 years and conjure up more regulations, as if this country needed more rules. :rolleyes::mad:

This is a major issue all over the place, where the Code requires one thing, and real world its an impossibility. It was huge when AFCI first came out.

I'm running into this with clothes dyers, washing machines, its an issue with some EV chargers....

But apparently all the millions of ranges and clothes dryers that have been installed for the last 80 years without GFCI protection, up until this year, are not killing vast segments of the population, so......

I agree. Back when I started it seemed like the general understanding was GFCI was for cord and plug connected devices where water was present and shock was likely especially due to compromised grounds.

Solidly grounded appliances and equipment such as stoves, dryers, and air conditioners of course did not need GF because a fault could not raise the solidly grounded frame any appreciable amount above zero.

Common sense went out the window.

Thanks so far for the input. And yes we have gone round and round with AHJ to no avail. The owner will have to get new ovens for the remaining units and hope that they are to code. Doesnt help either when the manufacturer will not give a straight answer.
Maybe encourage the owner to complain to the city council or whoever the AHJ is. It would help if these people heard more complaints from people. We need jurisdictions to not just blindly adopt the latest code garbage put out by the incompetent NFPA, that organization is just completely out of control.

I have been meaning to attend the state code adoption meetings here in Washington to protest the adoption if some of this nutty stuff but keep missing/ forgetting. I remember some years ago reading the transcript of a meeting and the guy in charge or whatever says (something like): "as you can see pretty much no one attends these meetings so since there is no comments or objections, I guess we'll just adopt this latest version".

kwired

Electron manager
Common sense went out the window.
Started going out the window back in about 2005 NEC or so. Ok maybe a little sooner than that but started taking off in about 2005. I still see little justification for when they went away from 6 feet from kitchen sinks and went with all countertop receptacles. Maybe made sense if the counter top and/or flooring are conductive/semi conductive material, makes little sense with non conductive floors/counter tops

Before then it was only required on 15/20 amp receptacles in higher risk areas, and mostly only because of risk of having a missing EGC pin on a cord cap.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can we assume these are not wired up for 10-50R outlets where the ground is bonded to the neutral terminal on the oven cord? Or that even if it is a 14-50R outlet and a 14-50P plug, that someone at the oven supplier didn’t do that bonding by mistake?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Can we assume these are not wired up for 10-50R outlets where the ground is bonded to the neutral terminal on the oven cord? Or that even if it is a 14-50R outlet and a 14-50P plug, that someone at the oven supplier didn’t do that bonding by mistake?
That was my 1st thought (post #9,,,but you worded it far better)

JJWalecka

Some of the guys here have had success with operating the ovens on a standard breaker, until any moisture that happens to be in the elements, has evaporated.

Real PIA for 64 units.

Dennis has the better option.
Now what to do with 64 extra 50 amp GFCI breakers.
Had the same issue. Once the moisture evaporated we didn't have anymore tripping issues

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
From a recent text
me: "did you check the cord is installed correct?" GC: "yes, my appliance guy got all the 4wire cords on but the GFIC trips". me: "ok if I find a mis-wired range again I'll need to charge you drive time plus 1hr minimum. can you send a photo of one of the range cords" -- and here was the photo: range_woops.jpg