GFCI on two wire systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Scuba, an external GFCI tester requires a grounding means in order to trip the GFCI.

The correct way to test any GFCI is to use the test button on the GFCI.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A wiring system with a ground is safer than one without it. But short of rewiring all those millions of miles of 2-wire circuits still in use, we're allowed to use GFIs instead.

Not a perfect solution, but one with the idea that installing a GFI at least provides more protection (given GFIs safety record) than doing nothing.

IMO, I think it would be safer to have GFCI protected circuits in a building with non conductive flooring and walls (wood for example) with no EGC's.

As far as 250.114(3), it should be removed from the NEC, this is a manufacturers/listing issue. With that said, how is it going to be enforced?

Roger

iwire

Staff member
IMO, I think it would be safer to have GFCI protected circuits in a building with non conductive flooring and walls (wood for example) with no EGC's.

As far as 250.114(3), it should be removed from the NEC, this is a manufacturers/listing issue. With that said, how is it going to be enforced?

I agree.

As far as enforcement thats already been taken care of, the NEC requires 'No EGC' stickers and that must save many lives. :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As far as enforcement thats already been taken care of, the NEC requires 'No EGC' stickers and that must save many lives. :roll:

Uh, yeah, that's it. :wink::D

Roger

480sparky

Roger

In other words, build our world to Class II (double insulated) specifications? :cool:

Scuba, an external GFCI tester requires a grounding means in order to trip the GFCI.

The correct way to test any GFCI is to use the test button on the GFCI.

tell the inspectors that when they test, they use the little checker. how times do you see an inspector push the button.

480sparky

tell the inspectors that when they test, they use the little checker. how times do you see an inspector push the button.

All mine test the GFI with the button. They test all the downstream receps with their plug-in tester....... not to test the GFI, but to verify the recep is line-load protected by the GFI recep or breaker.

JohnJ0906

All mine test the GFI with the button. They test all the downstream receps with their plug-in tester....... not to test the GFI, but to verify the recep is line-load protected by the GFI recep or breaker.

Same here.

Personally, I test the actual GFCI receptacle with both the test button, and the plug-in... just to be sure.

480sparky

Same here.

Personally, I test the actual GFCI receptacle with both the test button, and the plug-in... just to be sure.

I'm usually on-site when the inspector is there. He goes around with his plug-in tester, and I push the reset button when it trips. It's just a formality on his part as I have already done the same thing prior to his arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.