GFCI protection for personnel in an industrial facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

doingmybest

I have been tasked with trying to find out if there is an NEC or OSHA requirement for GFCI protection for personnel in an industrial facility. Most of the time , tehcnicians when using a portable tool will plug into an extension cord or outlet to do maintenace or repairs. Does 590 deal with just construction sites or does my scenario fall under "similar activities"? OSHA basically mirrors the NEC with no real clarification on anything "other than dwelling units".

WorkSafe

An easy way to determine this is if the cord-set (i.e. extension cord) is subject to more severe abuse (more than typical light use), used in damp or wet areas, constantly being moved, etc. If it falls into these types of situations, you need GFCI. You wouldn't need GFCI to plug in a drill that is being used to just hang a picture, or other similar simple tasks.

doingmybest

An easy way to determine this is if the cord-set (i.e. extension cord) is subject to more severe abuse (more than typical light use), used in damp or wet areas, constantly being moved, etc. If it falls into these types of situations, you need GFCI. You wouldn't need GFCI to plug in a drill that is being used to just hang a picture, or other similar simple tasks.

That is understandable and is complied with here. I was just looking for written verbage that states whether or not it is required or not. We use them all the time due to the conditions that are present here sometimes. When in doubt, whip it out. While dealing with this I had some inquiries into plug strips and surge protectors and there use in this facility and I mentioned to them that this particular subject is a whole new can of worms in itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.