GFCI receptacle. for AHU

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: GFCI receptacle. for AHU

I have to agree with Don. 400.7 would not apply to an extension cord used to service HVAC equipment.

for some reason I thought it had to be GFCI
GFCI would be required if it were a rooftop unit.

When we have an ahu above the suspended ceiling grid we do not install an outlet just a light and switch.
Why the switch and light? Above a ceiling grid isn't the same as an attic?

Steve

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by marinesgt0411:
I guess I was a little unclear

210.63 the receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 25 feet

for some reason I thought it had to be GFCI

so if it is not in the same room but within 25 feet it still meets the requirement correct??
Correct.

Sarge, the receptacle need not be in the same room. HVAC equipment is often installed in closets and other dedicated spaces, and a receptacle in an adjoining room or hallway complies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

What would you say to a AHJ who required GFI protection to an outlet, when the furnace is in a small closet off the second floor hallway, and the hallway receptacle were used to comply with 210.63? :)

Could be a miscommunication, this didn't happen to me personally.

physis

What would you say to a AHJ who required GFI protection to an outlet, when the furnace is in a small closet off the second floor hallway, and the hallway receptacle were used to comply with 210.63?
:)
I'd ask him if he's the guy that's always coming up with weird stuff to make Allen comply with. :D

jimwalker

How come we worry so much about the AC man and not the electrician.We don't get an outlet required in our electric room for our fan ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by georgestolz:
What would you say to a AHJ who required GFI protection to an outlet, when the furnace is in a small closet off the second floor hallway, and the hallway receptacle were used to comply with 210.63? :)

I would say "Please show me which NEC article."

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

What would you say to a AHJ who required GFI protection to an outlet, when the furnace is in a small closet off the second floor hallway, and the hallway receptacle were used to comply with 210.63?
A few AHJs I know: "Yes, Sir. How high would you like that mounted" would be the best answer :D

marinesgt0411

Originally posted by georgestolz:

I think I would have to say this is a dwelling unit and does not have to be GFCI as per 210.8 but if you insist on it being GFCI I will put it in until I get a ruling from your boss.

for a $7.00 Gfci I do not want to fail and have a $50 dollar reinspection fee.

bradleyelectric

Originally posted by marinesgt0411:
Little statement on the print that says that they are not responsible for omitions or errors and that is it up to the electrical contractor to make the installation code comply able makes it my cost to add the receptacle

and I am ready to call for final

it is the only problem that I can foresee
I write a scope of work, anything other than my scope of work is an extra. I leave enough money in my price to cover an easy additional outlet or other small items though. No sense in bidding it that tight, I'm in it to make money, and try to be easy to work with.

physis

by marinesgt0411:

if you insist on it being GFCI I will put it in
This exerpt is a rather unfair paraphrasing but none the less, I'll use it to make a point.

By bradleyelectric:

No sense in bidding it that tight, I'm in it to make money, and try to be easy to work with.
This is why it's simply not acceptable for an inspector to be wrong and for everybody to pretend it's ok. It's not ok. I don't get to be wrong.

And I agree with being easy to work with. But it's a two way street. You can't ask people to do things they shouldn't have to because of a lack of understading and at the same time be easy to work with. That's not "easy to work with", that's something else.

That costs us money.

Edit: I had to change exceptable to acceptable. :confused:

[ August 14, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

redfish

I write a scope of work, anything other than my scope of work is an extra. I leave enough money in my price to cover an easy additional outlet or other small items though. No sense in bidding it that tight, I'm in it to make money, and try to be easy to work with.
Great policy,but an easy additional outlet might not be so easy when the walls and ceiling are already finished.
bricks.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.