GFCI receptacle not allowed in wet or damp location

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I read this sticker on the side of a GFCI receptacle. What am I suppose to use for an outside receptacle if this says not to use in a wet or damp location? Do they make a weather resistant GFCI and where do they sell them as I have not seen them at any of the home centers?
xyz051.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are wet location GFCI receptacles that you must use outdoors. They are sold at electrical supply places probably not at the Big Stores.

GG

There are wet location GFCI receptacles that you must use outdoors. They are sold at electrical supply places probably not at the Big Stores.
Guess I will swing by the supply house tommorow and buy some. Not really a big issue as I mostly install them inside when I come accross a broken one. I guess I over looked this code change as I have been busy with my HVAC contracting busness and have put the electrical on the back burner. These 3 year code changes are becomming quite a joke to me. What are we trying to accomplish with changes every 3 years other than making people involved with it and the products it pushes richer? One more reason I moved over to the HVAC sector, lol.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What am I suppose to use for an outside receptacle if this says not to use in a wet or damp location?[/URL]
Yes, but, you could also use a WP receptacle outside that is fed through a GFCI receptacle inside.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Yes, but, you could also use a WP receptacle outside that is fed through a GFCI receptacle inside.

Yes. but you could also use a WP receptacle outside that is fed through a receptacle inside that is supplied my a GFI breaker:)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The requirement for damp and wet locations receptacles is that they're listed as weather resistant. They will typically be marked on their face with the letter WR.

406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
(A) Damp Locations. A receptacle installed outdoors in a location protected from the weather or in other damp locations shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed).
An installation suitable for wet locations shall also be considered suitable for damp locations.
A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location protected from the weather where located under roofed open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be a listed weather-resistant type.
FPN: The types of receptacles covered by this requirement are identified as 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, and 6-20 in ANSI/NEMA WD 6-2002, National Electrical Manufacturers Association Standard for Dimensions of Attachment Plugs and Receptacles.
(B) Wet Locations.
(1) 15- and 20-Ampere Receptacles in a Wet Location. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted. All 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt nonlocking receptacles shall be listed weather-resistant type.

Last edited:
Funny thing

Funny thing

I've purchased them at the local big box store as long ago as this past summer, but at our recent monthly local EC's association meeting the reps from the local supply houses all said they've never even seen them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.