GFCI required on outside of single family dwelling for 120V corded sump pump...

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

The way I feel about it is this, if a GC wants a non-protected receptale for a sump pump he can install it himself.

I install the protected receptacle and pass inspection and what the GC or plumber do after that is their business.

I have installed a number of GFCI protected receptacles and they either work or someone is changing them out. I see them in homes all the time that have not been changed and no flooding so there must be a reason.

They should check out the pump and see if there is a reason it tripped .

mpoulton

They should check out the pump and see if there is a reason it tripped .

Anecdote: Installed a brand new Goulds pump in a fountain, plugged it in, and it tripped the GFCI instantly. Turns out it had a solid (zero ohm) ground fault and open EGC, from the factory. I'm pretty wary of submersible pumps without GFCIs on them.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Anecdote: Installed a brand new Goulds pump in a fountain, plugged it in, and it tripped the GFCI instantly. Turns out it had a solid (zero ohm) ground fault and open EGC, from the factory. I'm pretty wary of submersible pumps without GFCIs on them.

i have used the Wayne brand for a long time, probably 50+ installs with that brand. my own CDU1000, it never trips gfi ocpd (i dont use gfi recept) and i never ever had a faulty unit.

growler

i have used the Wayne brand for a long time, probably 50+ installs with that brand. my own CDU1000, it never trips gfi ocpd (i dont use gfi recept) and i never ever had a faulty unit.

You can get a bad product from any manufacturer.

Years ago I went on two seperate service calls in a short time where the product was sabotaged by an employee at the factory. When I called the manufacturer they were well aware of the problem an had already discovered the cause. There was no problem with the manufacturer paying the buyer for a service call expense. The just wanted to locate any of the bad products in the field.

I know of a guy that was killed by what I consider to be the best and most dependable motorcycle on the market. Factory defect. It happens.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
the wonderful world of probabilities.
you however have the freedom to choose the name of sticker that has the best probability-to-cost ratio. almost everything you do in life is based on this ratio. as example, how much effort do you put into trying to convince your insurance agent to reduce your premium by $2 when he already told you he has done the best he can. $2 is not worth 5min of my time for that extended conversation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.