GFCI Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaBee

Occupation
electrical
We have a couple of carports installed for a rescue vehicle (ambulance) and a fire engine. I need to install (2) cord reels for these vehicles for a ship to shore power condition.. The ambulance has a GFCI in the power compartment. In the past there has been a GFCI installed on the circuit for the ambulance and we had nuisance tripping. So is there a way way to avoid installing the GFCI on these circuits by installing a twist lock body connector on the end of the cord reel?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If the cord reels are installed in a place where GFCI protections is required there's no way around it regardless of what type of body connector you put on the end of the cord.

JAP>

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would think I would want GFCI even if it wasn't required !
Metal vehicle isolated from ground on rubber tires.. nice rainy day and one grabs the door handle...

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
It's important to remember that GFCI protection is typically dictated by the location of the receptacle outlet and not by what might be connected to that outlet.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I would think I would want GFCI even if it wasn't required !
Metal vehicle isolated from ground on rubber tires.. nice rainy day and one grabs the door handle...

You bring up a good point.

Has anyone figured out if 30 and 50a RV Pedestals are now required to have GFI protected outlets?

JAP>

So is there a way way to avoid installing the GFCI on these circuits by installing a twist lock body connector on the end of the cord reel?

Trading nuisance-tripping for nuisance ripping-the-plug-off-the-cord :D.

(And generally speaking, cascading GFCIs should not cause nuisance-tripping. Could be that the shore-power input does have more leakage than a standard GFCI will pass.)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If you had nuisance tripping then the GFCI is doing its job. You don't know if the leakage is 5 mA or 50. Does the GFCI in the ambulance ever trip? If not then the ground fault is upstream of that ambulance GFCI.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
You bring up a good point.

Has anyone figured out if 30 and 50a RV Pedestals are now required to have GFI protected outlets?

JAP>
Last I knew the jury was still out on this, not sure of code panel in RV section and code panel in GFCI section have hashed it out.
Maybe call Midwest manufacturing or Milbank and see if they have made any changes to there pedestals yet.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Last I knew the jury was still out on this, not sure of code panel in RV section and code panel in GFCI section have hashed it out.
Maybe call Midwest manufacturing or Milbank and see if they have made any changes to there pedestals yet.

Residences and farms where I install RV pedestals, or similar, do not qualify as an RV Park in any way shape or form. They get GFCI protection. I don't see it as an issue.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Residences and farms where I install RV pedestals, or similar, do not qualify as an RV Park in any way shape or form. They get GFCI protection. I don't see it as an issue.
Are you saying that the manufactured RV pedestals you installed at this farm or residence has a 30 amp SP GFCI breaker or 50 amp DP breaker already installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.