GFCI requirement at company truckports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIEngineer

Hello all,

We are having a problem with the GFCI circuits that feed a truckport for engine block heaters. The breakers keep tripping during the cold nights when the block heaters need to run.

I am sure part of this has to do with the condition on the cord ends; they are left on the ground, get coated with salt, and possibly run over.

As I read 2005 NEC 210.8(B) it appears that they are not required because the truckports in question are inside a secure, gated, area and accessible only to employees.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for preventing these trips of the GFCI breakers. We have tried installing the type that plug into the end of your cord but those get stolen and also trip often.

thank you,

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would say that (1) I agree that GFCI protection is not required, and that (2) GFCI protection is needed.

What I mean is that this application is not on the list, and therefore the NEC does not require GFCI. But this application does have a serious problem, and the GFCI is presently preventing anyone from receiving a shock. I suggest putting all efforts into solving the problem, and keeping the GFCI protection until the cause of the trips has been resolved. Nuisance tripping is certainly a, well, a nuisance. But fatally shocking a worker would be more of a nuisance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Note that a change in the 2008 code requires GFCI protection for these outlets, even if they are not accessible to the public. I agree with Charlie, that even if you are on the 2005 code and GFCI protection is not required, you need to provide this protection as you have leakage current issues that could be a hazard.

iwire

Staff member
Do you have more then one receptacle per breaker?

Is the run from the panel to the outlets long?

If you have either or both conditions you may find using standard breakers with GFCI receptacle for each truck will work better.

If your plugging more then one truck into a GFCI breaker the cumulative leakage current may be part of the problem.

By the way, I do agree with Charlie and Don.

MIEngineer

I appreciate the answers / comments. The distance from panel to cord end in probably 125'. And yes, there are multiple trucks plugged into one circuit.

Based on the suggestions I think what we may do is remove the GFCI breakers from the panel and install an in-line GFCI cord set at the end that plugs into the block heater.

Similar to these:
View attachment 2779

I have heard though that these type also trip upon power loss. Any experience with that? Or any that don't?

There is currently a cord reel feeding the block heaters so a receptacle is out and we're looking for something a little less expensive than rewiring the cord reel from a GFCI recpetacle, if possible.

thank you,

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The older portable GFCIs tripped on power loss and had to be reset. It had to do with how they provided the required open neutral protection. They used a relay with a seal in contact and if you lost power to the relay, you had to push the reset button to pick the relay back up. The newer ones are still required to provide open neutral protection, but they do it in a manner that does not require a reset after power failure.

MIEngineer

In the future we will definitley install one heater per circuit.

Thanks for the info. about the older style portable GFCI protection. I have seen them used a machine shut-offs in case of power loss on drill presses, table saws, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.