GFCI - TIA

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
There is a technological incompatibility between common loads in the home and GFCIs. The incompatibility is often realized in the form of “nuisance tripping”, where a GFCI trips and no electrical hazard is present. This incompatibility is especially pertinent in the context of home appliances, which are subject to continuously updated, mandator

Attachments

• Proposed_TIA_1748_NFPA_70.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

brycenesbitt

Yeah, discussed elsewhere also. See this PI 1802-NFPA 70-2023, which references this TIA.
I'd like to see either side show real cost/benefit numbers rather than just positional arguments.
And look at alternative ways to achieve the same safety goals, where a safety issue can be demonstrated.

Attachments

• NEC Section 625.54 GFCI and EVSE Exception Proposal.pdf
    204.6 KB · Views: 2

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
There is a technological incompatibility between common loads in the home and GFCIs. The incompatibility is often realized in the form of “nuisance tripping”, where a GFCI trips and no electrical hazard is present. This incompatibility is especially pertinent in the context of home appliances, which are subject to continuously updated, mandator

I am in the process of transitioning to "Insulting Work" ... If I was still doing contracting, I would think about putting a disclaimer on the invoices "After Gound Fault Circuit Interrupters or Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters are installed per code, we will only under our warranty respond once without charge".

Remember to turn off your cellphone at night !

Last edited: