GFCI Tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

WSB123

I have briefly checked out a problem with a GFCI breaker tripping. The customer says that the breaker controlling her bathroom receptacles is tripped off every morning when she awakes. She resets the breaker and uses her hairdryer and curling iron without any problem. When she returns home in the evening it has tripped again. (no one is home using the circuit when they find it tripped) I removed her outlets and disconnected the wiring. I could not find any problem initially, but did find one TV plugged into the outlet continually. I unplugged the TV. The next morning it was tripped. Any advice before I return to troubleshoot this further.

AV ELECTRIC

I had a gfci trip at a specific time at night every night almost to the minute. It ended up being a sprinkler coming on at a specific time at night that sprayed an outside receptacle which tripped the gfci .By morning it dried out and the homeowner could reset it. My point is it sounds like a pattern is going on here look to see what other outlets are on that circuit unplug everything. Its a process of elimination obvious fist.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You need to trip the GFCI and look for every outlet, etc that is connected to the load side of the GFCI. Make sure to check outdoor recep. garage recep. etc.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
One other one that likes to hide is a receptacle under a mobile home for heat tape. (Took hours to find that one the 1st time)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You need to trip the GFCI and look for every outlet, etc that is connected to the load side of the GFCI. Make sure to check outdoor recep. garage recep. etc.
And when you find them all, put them on a separate circuit. Bathroom receptacles are not allowed to share the same circuit with any of that stuff. 210.11(C)(3).

Status
Not open for further replies.