GFCI vs GFEP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can i replace our 20A GFCI breakers inside a breaker box with 20A GFEP breakers? We use 2 GFCI breakers, each runs to 2 outside receptacles. These receptacles are used for water pumps and sewer pumps. Nothing else is in the circuit except these 2 receptacles. We are having alot of problems with the GFCI tripping. And its costing us many service calls. This is in the oilfield industry and we have temporary housing for the guys working on the rigs. Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Short answer, no. GFCI and GFPE have different trip thresholds and GFPE is for protecting equipment not humans.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We are having alot of problems with the GFCI tripping.
Then you have a problem with the equipment being powered by the receptacles. The GFCI device is not to blame for its having tripped. It is far more likely that it is correctly discerning that current is leaking somewhere. You should look for that leak.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I'm not sure that there aren't bugs yet to resolve with GFCI's and transient or inductive kickback issues. Granted they have come a long way in that it seemed that when they first came out if you looked at one wrong it tripped. Heck I have a sump pump that will trip one every once in a blue moon. Now tell me what is wrong with my pump! If there is a real problem say with water entering an area it shouldn't then I'm sure it would trip more consistently.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Can i replace our 20A GFCI breakers inside a breaker box with 20A GFEP breakers? We use 2 GFCI breakers, each runs to 2 outside receptacles. These receptacles are used for water pumps and sewer pumps. Nothing else is in the circuit except these 2 receptacles. We are having alot of problems with the GFCI tripping. And its costing us many service calls. This is in the oilfield industry and we have temporary housing for the guys working on the rigs. Thanks
Fix the pumps or the wiring and associated components.

Leaving the legalities aside, you could raise the level of ground fault protection till it trips at the GFEP level and then fix what was wrong in the first place.

JDB3

I would start by using GFCI receptacles, to get it closer to the load. Will also help to determine if it is the feeder going to the receptacles or what is utilizing the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.