gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

My house was built in 78. The bath and recp. in utility room and car port are gfci'ed. However they are all supplied by one gfci breaker. The serving only bath recp. must have not been in place at the time.

480sparky

My house was built in 78. The bath and recp. in utility room and car port are gfci'ed. However they are all supplied by one gfci breaker. The serving only bath recp. must have not been in place at the time.

Just because a home was built in '78 doesn't mean it was wired to the '78 NEC. It may have been wired under the '75 or '71, local codes instead of the National, if any codes applied at all.;)

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
It came much later, 96 I think. My 95 built house has 1 (ONE) 15A GFCI breaker for the garage (2 duplex, am not sure about the door opener), front porch, back porch, and 2 bathrooms; not sure if just receptacles. When I bought it, I asked my home inspector if 20A wasn't required ... not then he said. Wife and daughter have tripped it several times with those hair dryers. I asked an electrician (I'm not one) if I could have him add a 20A for one bath and an outdoor near the HVAC (useful for other uses) ... he said "not legally". Daughter has married and it is just wife and me ... I'll live with it.

The kitchen SA circuits and several other locations are protected with GFCI receptacles.

What REALLY gets me is that I wanted him to add 3 smoke detectors ... house has 1 in hall, and one in "finished basement" hall. Price to add new (AFCI) circuit and snake it ... OUCH! That is one that I seriously considered an unlicensed guy ... 12 ft of 14-3 and 3 old work boxes ... but the wife said no.

Inspectorcliff

Without looking....

Without looking....

I am going to say, in the early 70's maybe 1975 NEC. But, now I am going to have to look and see.:grin:

c2500

It came much later, 96 I think. My 95 built house has 1 (ONE) 15A GFCI breaker for the garage (2 duplex, am not sure about the door opener), front porch, back porch, and 2 bathrooms; not sure if just receptacles. When I bought it, I asked my home inspector if 20A wasn't required ... not then he said. Wife and daughter have tripped it several times with those hair dryers. I asked an electrician (I'm not one) if I could have him add a 20A for one bath and an outdoor near the HVAC (useful for other uses) ... he said "not legally". Daughter has married and it is just wife and me ... I'll live with it.

The kitchen SA circuits and several other locations are protected with GFCI receptacles.

What REALLY gets me is that I wanted him to add 3 smoke detectors ... house has 1 in hall, and one in "finished basement" hall. Price to add new (AFCI) circuit and snake it ... OUCH! That is one that I seriously considered an unlicensed guy ... 12 ft of 14-3 and 3 old work boxes ... but the wife said no.

At the risk of sounding flip, did you get additional quotes? I am in Greenville also, and know that there is a broad range on pricing, with some of the more expensive not being so great at their workmanship. I would not use someone unlicensed. There is a reason they do not have a license. With the way the economy is right now, there are plenty of legitimate guys out there that are hungry.

c2500

Last edited:

OLDMAN2

Do soffit receptacles require g.f.c.i. protection for a dwelling unit (used for christmas lights)

Status
Not open for further replies.