Gfci

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIC1958

Commercial building..........30amp/220 recepticle is within 5' of counter top sink. Does this need to be GFCI protected? Electrician says no because it is a "single point outlet". Can not find it in the NEC 2005. Any help would be appreciated.

iwire

Staff member
No, but not for the reasons the electrician stated.

For the most part the NEC only requires GFCI protection of 120 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles. See 210.8

VIC1958

No, but not for the reasons the electrician stated.

For the most part the NEC only requires GFCI protection of 120 volt 15 and 20 amp receptacles. See 210.8

So let me get this right........ 15 and 20 amp circuits with in 6' of a sink require GFCI protection. More amps/volts within 6" of a sink do not. Dosent make sense.

iwire

Staff member
So let me get this right........ 15 and 20 amp circuits with in 6' of a sink require GFCI protection.

Correct

More amps/volts within 6" of a sink do not.

Correct, you could have a 480 volt 100 amp receptacle above the sink and GFCI would not be required

Dosent make sense.

But it is the code.

The deal is this, the accident statistics do not justfy GFCI protection for other than standard receptacles.

You can always put a proposal to have the rules changed but you would have top provide substantiation that there is a problem now that needs fixing.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So let me get this right........ 15 and 20 amp circuits with in 6' of a sink require GFCI protection. More amps/volts within 6" of a sink do not. Doesn't make sense.
The 15 and 20 amp receptacles are the ones into which your common work tools will be plugged. Those are the ones that get the most use, and the most abuse, and are more likely to have internal problems. As Bob said, the statistics show that there is a real value in protecting those receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.