GFCI's and Not for use in damp locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

We are still pre 2008 for a few more weeks. I have been noticing new labels on the GFCI's that say "Not for use in damp locations". Never saw that note before. Now that these UL labeled receptacles say that, I suppose they cannot be mounted outside or in a crawlspace.

I have not seen one WR embossed receptacle on the exterior of the house, ever. Price difference seems pretty big too.

Anyone fail an inspection because of this or aware of this issue?

Umlaut

I've been wondering about this, too. Does "not for use in damp locations" mean directly in a damp location, and that the inside of a covered-in-use box is not a damp or wet location?

I try to wire GFCIs so that they're inside, and not outside in the elements or sun. This saves the expensive device from wear and abuse. Even if it's a little more inconvenient for the occasional reset, testing is easier.

mcclary's electrical

I've been wondering about this, too. Does "not for use in damp locations" mean directly in a damp location, and that the inside of a covered-in-use box is not a damp or wet location?

I try to wire GFCIs so that they're inside, and not outside in the elements or sun. This saves the expensive device from wear and abuse. Even if it's a little more inconvenient for the occasional reset, testing is easier.

The cover alone does not render it an acceptablr location, they still have to be marked WR

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
We've been under the '08, here, for some time, and, so far, I haven't forgotten to get a WR in where its been needed.

The frustrating part, for me, was that I had to rework the stock in my truck. Standard, TR, TR+WR. If you think about it, that's three times the stock, compared to before the '08. And, if I could get it at the right price point, the WR minus the TR.

electricmanscott

We've been under the '08, here, for some time, and, so far, I haven't forgotten to get a WR in where its been needed.

The frustrating part, for me, was that I had to rework the stock in my truck. Standard, TR, TR+WR. If you think about it, that's three times the stock, compared to before the '08. And, if I could get it at the right price point, the WR minus the TR.

Why not just ditch the standard stuff? :confused:

I stock all TR and keep a few WR gfis and receptacles on hand. No difference in truck stock for me.

ivsenroute

The problem that I am seeing is that even if not under the 08 code, we now have a label that clearly states the receptacle is not for use in a damp location therefore it cannot be used no matter what code cycle you are under.

electricmanscott

The problem that I am seeing is that even if not under the 08 code, we now have a label that clearly states the receptacle is not for use in a damp location therefore it cannot be used no matter what code cycle you are under.

Well I think that might be a good thing.

It's been shown that standrd gfis in damp and wet locations fail often. Now they make a product that is supposed to make that less of an issue, so much so that the product is now required and the manufacturer is telling you not to use the old product. Why not use that new product?

Umlaut

Isn't the rule that something used in a damp location must be labeled for use in a damp location? That is, the GFCI devices which didn't carry "Not for use" also didn't carry "appropriate for use".

M. D.

We are still pre 2008 for a few more weeks. I have been noticing new labels on the GFCI's that say "Not for use in damp locations". Never saw that note before. Now that these UL labeled receptacles say that, I suppose they cannot be mounted outside or in a crawlspace.

I have not seen one WR embossed receptacle on the exterior of the house, ever. Price difference seems pretty big too.

I'm looking at a leviton leaflet for a T.R. non W.R. GFCI receptacle and there is a warning and it reads ;

DO NOT INSTALL IN WET OR DAMP LOCATIONS without proper weatherproof enclosure as per NEC 406.8 . Approved caulk and gaskets must be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.