gfcis downstream

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
You won't find anything in the NEC that limits the number of GFCI receptacles permitted downstream from another GFCI receptacle.

If anything this would be a manufactures requirement and I am not aware of any that prohibit downstream GFCI receptacles.

Chris

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Are you refferring to placing GFCI protected outlets downstream from the GFCI outlet or breaker or are you reffering to placing several GFCI outlets daisy chained together?
If the latter this is not a wise installation as false tripping is bound to happen and or not knowing which GFCI has faulted.

:)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
can't find in nec how many gfci receptacles allowed downstream of first one, any help?
As many as you like however you may want to keep the total distance under control. I have heard that long distance from the GFCI to the last outlet may cause some issues

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What makes you say this?

anytime I have seen multiple GFCI's downstream( protected by a up stream GFCI ) I have had customer complaints of nuisance tripping in such a installation not done by me. Besides why would you spend for a GFCI and on the load side of this add more GFCI's. If you have a Ground Fault it may trip other GFCI's in the daisy chain then you have to look around for the GFCI that is tripped. I don't know many customers that are happy to pay a service call to push a button.

I never have multiple GFCI's protected by upstream GFCI's . In my world it's just bad practice , a waste of good money, and a complaint waiting to happen.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
anytime I have seen multiple GFCI's downstream( protected by a up stream GFCI ) I have had customer complaints of nuisance tripping in such a installation not done by me. Besides why would you spend for a GFCI and on the load side of this add more GFCI's. If you have a Ground Fault it may trip other GFCI's in the daisy chain then you have to look around for the GFCI that is tripped. I don't know many customers that are happy to pay a service call to push a button.

I never have multiple GFCI's protected by upstream GFCI's . In my world it's just bad practice , a waste of good money, and a complaint waiting to happen.

I don't think we are talking about adding downstream GFCI's to a GFCI circuit-- but we may be. You certainly can and it should not cause a problem.

I thought the op was asking about regular recep. downstream of the GFCI

Jim W in Tampa

Being that your an inspector i will only point out that nothing in nec deals with how many. Not always a good design but legal. Now if the brand they use has a limit then you could tag based on that.

greenjeans

Inactive, Email Never Verified
i run into this kind of thing alot, theres nothing wrong with putting gfci outlets down stream from a gfci already protecting the circuit. BUT why would you!! when one trips by fault or a good thunder clap.its going to cost the owner a service call to repair, the down stream outlets are dead do to any of up stream gfci tripping, and they wont reset.So i think its one gfci for all , or each location gets a gfci wired on line side, BUT again why waste the money on many gfci outlets when one will do-IMHO

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
i run into this kind of thing alot, theres nothing wrong with putting gfci outlets down stream from a gfci already protecting the circuit. BUT why would you!! when one trips by fault or a good thunder clap.its going to cost the owner a service call to repair, the down stream outlets are dead do to any of up stream gfci tripping, and they wont reset.So i think its one gfci for all , or each location gets a gfci wired on line side, BUT again why waste the money on many gfci outlets when one will do-IMHO

Well said. same as what I said!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i run into this kind of thing alot, theres nothing wrong with putting gfci outlets down stream from a gfci already protecting the circuit. BUT why would you!!
So true! I once spent a frustrating hour tracing a mysterious circuit outage, and eventually found three GFCI receptacles in line on a single circuit: one in the living room, one in the hallway, and one in a bedroom. :mad:

mcclary's electrical

When you wire a 4-5 bathroom house, one bath circuit, Do you put a GFI in each bathroom? Or only in the first one and load wire the rest?

gfcis downstream

sorry guys! i mean't regular grounded receptacles downstream of a gfci receptacle. we have a local inspector not allowing a grounded receptacle downstream of a gfci receptacle to protect a garage door opener

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Why? If you're under the '08 NEC, the outlet for the garage door opener is required to be GFCI protected in dwelling units.

I think the op is saying that the inspector does not allow downstream GFCI protection. Thus the GFCI recep. would have to be located at every GFCI protected area.

Ask him why the GFCI is designed for feed thru use and also where he can find that in the instructions or the NEC.

It seems like maybe there has been a miscommunication between you two over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.