Gfi breakers tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
@synchro , I may try removing the load wires and/or a limited change out for new breakers next week. I like your idea. Just don't know where to come up with over 200 gfi breakers with the supply issues if this idea works.

synchro

Occupation
EE
@synchro , I may try removing the load wires and/or a limited change out for new breakers next week. I like your idea. Just don't know where to come up with over 200 gfi breakers with the supply issues if this idea works.
A suggestion is to replace some of the breakers in a given panel (for example 4 of the 6) GFCI breakers with new ones and leave the others as is. Then if any of the breakers trip in this panel you can check if it was: 1.) just the old ones that tripped, 2.) all of them, or 3.) something in between.
Case 1 would point to the old breakers being bad.
Case 2 would suggest that the older breakers weren't damaged because they behave the same as the new ones.
Case 3 would be inconclusive.
Obviously, mark it so you know which breakers were replaced. :rolleyes:

By the way are the GFCI breakers mixed on both phases? I assume that they would be, but if not and they're only on one phase that could be relevant information.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A.k.a a linear amp. I once helped a guy wire one powered by a motor-driven alternator powering a truck battery, using a 6/12v charger to feed the alternator field. He said he could exceed 100 miles of transmission, but reception required a couple of CBers to relay at that distance.

retirede

A.k.a a linear amp. I once helped a guy wire one powered by a motor-driven alternator powering a truck battery, using a 6/12v charger to feed the alternator field. He said he could exceed 100 miles of transmission, but reception required a couple of CBers to relay at that distance.

I used to build them for people. 100 miles is nothing. SSB under skip conditions could go 10 times that far or more. High sunspot activity was thought to help.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I used to build them for people. 100 miles is nothing. SSB under skip conditions could go 10 times that far or more. High sunspot activity was thought to help.
I used to use one back in the "CB" days. During the high "skip" periods you would hear or talk to people from all over. People would send their cards with their "CB Handle" on them for confirmation of talking with you. I've gotten them from hundreds of miles away.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Thought to help? It's about the only way you will get 1000 miles out of the 11 meter band. The amps just make you louder than your neighbors and make a bunch of noise. When the sunspots are active, it's very easy to get 1000 miles using 5 watts. That's why 'you can talk across the country, but not across the street'.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Guy with the Ham radio just moved in...
Very possible. And could be more than a block away. If that is the case it will be hard to track down, and if you do, realize the radio operator is probably doing nothing wrong and you will have to do something to the breakers anyway.

No amplifier is needed to make the breakers trip, either. There are several videos on You Tube about this.

retirede

Thought to help? It's about the only way you will get 1000 miles out of the 11 meter band. The amps just make you louder than your neighbors and make a bunch of noise. When the sunspots are active, it's very easy to get 1000 miles using 5 watts. That's why 'you can talk across the country, but not across the street'.

Agreed. But I was a broke college kid and people would pay me good money for them.
It’s kind of like how much HP you had in your muscle car - an ego thing.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I quoted a generator install for a ham radio operator, he said he was a relay station or something, and not legally transmitting. He said he was an engineer from Germany. He wanted the generator in his basement so the city wouldn’t know he had it. Quoted it in a fire rated room with external air flow and exhaust. Pretty pricey. Didn’t get it, don’t know if another contractor threw one in there, or he decided it was too expensive. Maybe somebody did that in the subdivision!

480sparky

I quoted a generator install for a ham radio operator, he said he was a relay station or something, and not legally transmitting. He said he was an engineer from Germany. He wanted the generator in his basement so the city wouldn’t know he had it. Quoted it in a fire rated room with external air flow and exhaust. Pretty pricey. Didn’t get it, don’t know if another contractor threw one in there, or he decided it was too expensive. Maybe somebody did that in the subdivision!

Ham enthusiasts don't take kindly to illegal transmitters. Generator or not, city knowing or not.... he'd get rooted out pretty quickly and the FCC would shut him down.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
"Phantom Tripping"
This is such a common problem !
The solution:
1. When installing a "GFI/AFI" circuit all the neutrals have to be dedicated to that circuit.
2. That means that at all junction boxes all neutrals need to be identified.
3. Do not mix neutrals !
4. Problem solved !!

Status
Not open for further replies.