GFI CB require fuses on VAC conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetNathan

Net is where I be and Nathan is me
Occupation
Mgr. Electrical and Controls Eng
I am installing a GE Spectra 600A CB (480V/3PH/4wire) as a main in a distribution panel.
It has a built in GFI system built in with a separate junction block for connecting the Neutral and VAC from each phase.
I plan on adding a small junction box next to the panel for a terminal strip for the GFI junction block (for testing without removing the panel cover) and because I am also required to supply in coming and out going indicator lights on the main CB.
Should I fuse the voltage wires? The wiring diagram shows no fuses.
I am fusing the indicator lights for each phase.
I am running #14 conductors.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am installing a GE Spectra 600A CB (480V/3PH/4wire) as a main in a distribution panel.
It has a built in GFI system built in with a separate junction block for connecting the Neutral and VAC from each phase.
I plan on adding a small junction box next to the panel for a terminal strip for the GFI junction block (for testing without removing the panel cover) and because I am also required to supply in coming and out going indicator lights on the main CB.
Should I fuse the voltage wires? The wiring diagram shows no fuses.
I am fusing the indicator lights for each phase.
I am running #14 conductors.
So in my limited experience with those GE Spectra systems, the thing with the external junction box is not really for the GFP, that's inherent in the breaker trip unit itself. That box is for the communications system and is also used when you use ZSI (Zone Selective Interlocking) with other breakers. So it is RELATED to the GFP system, but is not necessary for it in that specific breaker. What you are calling the "VAC" wires are basically just the voltage sensing circuits for that comm box, for when someone wants to connect it to a network and read the voltage. There is no real load on them so if you fused them, I couldn't even recommend a fuse size.

NetNathan

Occupation
So in my limited experience with those GE Spectra systems, the thing with the external junction box is not really for the GFP, that's inherent in the breaker trip unit itself. That box is for the communications system and is also used when you use ZSI (Zone Selective Interlocking) with other breakers. So it is RELATED to the GFP system, but is not necessary for it in that specific breaker. What you are calling the "VAC" wires are basically just the voltage sensing circuits for that comm box, for when someone wants to connect it to a network and read the voltage. There is no real load on them so if you fused them, I couldn't even recommend a fuse size.

Apparently the SDCTBA11 is to be used only with a "Voltage Module". There is a way to plug the neutral sensor direct into the CB and not use the SDCTBA11. So I will probably go that route and not use the SDCTBA11.
Here is manual on SDCTBA11.
http://apps.geindustrial.com/publib...Installation and Instruction|GEH-6257|generic

As far as the lights go.
Is it okay to fuse in the small junction box enclosure I am adding or should I fuse the conductors before I leave the distribution box?
The junction box enclosure is mounted directly to the distribution panel. I would prefer to do as much as possible outside the distribution panel to keep the customer from having to shut off the main supply to the distribution panel to service the lights.

NetNathan

Occupation
I have another question.
To save space..... can I use a 3 phase CB (miniature 2A) for the 3 lights for the 3 phases, or do I have to use a single CB for each light?
I will be using (1) 3 phase CB for incoming and (1) 3 phase CB for outgoing.
This way they can also isolate all 3 phases for incoming or outgoing by turning off 1 CB.

Status
Not open for further replies.