GFI on commercial refrigerators

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Ok, 110.3(C) does not clarify what shall be listed.

Does any such list exist?

Are some UL standards voluntary?

Is UL 471 enforceable?

UL 471 Standard for Commercial Refrigerators and Freezers
Aren't all the UL standards voluntary until either adopted as law or at least included in a particular design specification?

NFPA 70 isn't enforceable until a jurisdiction officially adopts it in some way, usually entered into or referenced to by lawbooks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok, 110.3(C) does not clarify what shall be listed.

Does any such list exist?
Depends on your state and local rules, here is what NC requires.

§ 66-25. Acceptable listings as to safety of goods. (a) All electrical materials, devices, appliances, and equipment shall be evaluated for safety and suitability for intended use. Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, this evaluation shall be conducted in accordance with nationally recognized standards and shall be conducted by a qualified testing laboratory. The Commissioner of Insurance, through the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance, shall implement the procedures necessary to approve suitable national standards and to approve suitable qualified testing laboratories. The Commissioner may assign his authority to implement the procedures for specific materials, devices, appliances, or equipment to other agencies or bodies when they would be uniquely qualified to implement those procedures. In the event that the Commissioner determines that electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment in question cannot be adequately evaluated through the use of approved national standards or by approved qualified testing laboratories, the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall specify any alternative evaluations which safety requires. The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall keep in file, where practical, copies of all approved national standards and resumes of approved qualified testing laboratories.

(b) Electrical devices, appliances, or equipment used by the Division of Adult Correction and Juvenile Justice of the Department of Public Safety in institutional kitchens and manufacturing equipment used by Correction Enterprises are exempt from the evaluation requirement of subsection (a) of this section.

(c) The Department of Administration, Division of Purchase and Contract, shall not seek to enforce the provisions of subsection (a) of this section by any means, including requiring acceptance inspections or additional testing of electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment purchased by State departments, agencies, and institutions.

Roger

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Aren't all the UL standards voluntary until either adopted as law or at least included in a particular design specification?

NFPA 70 isn't enforceable until a jurisdiction officially adopts it in some way, usually entered into or referenced to by lawbooks.
Good point. As you & Roger point out, State-adopted standards should be checked, in addition to Federal CPSC, or OSHA requirements in the work place.

Not finding refrigeration equipment as Type of Products Requiring NRTL Approval by Federal OSHA in the work place, nor workplace
Specific References to OSHA Standards Requiring NRTL Approval within the Electrical Equipment category.

ramsy

Occupation
Depends on your state and local rules, here is what NC requires.
Still looking for which States adopt UL 471 or ASHRAE 15. May be in the Mechanical Code?

Apparently, the Department of Defense (DoD) adopted UL 471 on March 23, 1976.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Still looking for which States adopt UL 471 or ASHRAE 15. May be in the Mechanical Code?

Apparently, the Department of Defense (DoD) adopted UL 471 on March 23, 1976.
I can't imagine any State or municipality adopting any UL product standard. They would accomplish that type of thing by requiring specific electrical equipment to be listed.
For example the code requires all appliances to be listed starting with the 2017 code.

ramsy

Occupation
I can't imagine any State or municipality adopting any UL product standard. They would accomplish that type of thing by requiring specific electrical equipment to be listed.
For example the code requires all appliances to be listed starting with the 2017 code.
Thank you, found it at NEC 422.6
Household refrigerators NEC 440.3(C)
Commercial refrigeration appliances ???

kwired

Electron manager

So EI can fail you based on fact he sees some small appliance like say a can opener that isn't listed?

Think they need to clarify exactly what appliances they want to include because the art 100 definition is pretty wide open to a lot of things.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So EI can fail you based on fact he sees some small appliance like say a can opener that isn't listed?

Think they need to clarify exactly what appliances they want to include because the art 100 definition is pretty wide open to a lot of things.
It is my opinion that the vast majority of Article 422 is outside the scope of the NEC and would be tossed out. Cord and plug connected is not installed, and the scope of the NEC is the installation of electrical equipment and systems.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thank you, found it at NEC 422.6
Household refrigerators NEC 440.3(C)
Commercial refrigeration appliances ???
I don't have any idea if commercial refrigeration equipment is an appliance or not. In a skim of UL 471, the word "appliance" did not jump out at me.

kwired

Electron manager
It is my opinion that the vast majority of Article 422 is outside the scope of the NEC and would be tossed out. Cord and plug connected is not installed, and the scope of the NEC is the installation of electrical equipment and systems.
Agree except there is cord and plug equipment that is fastened in place or located in dedicated spaces that kind of seems to get more attention on this than something that is readily moveable yet still fits the definition.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Aside from regulatory agencies, most insurance policies for commercial and industrial (and even some residential) facilities will include a rider requiring NRTL listing of any electrical equipment. Basically if a non-listed device is determined to be the cause of an accident, they can refuse to cover the damages. A LOT of people don't realize that.

cpickett

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’m doing some work at a bar that is buying a glass washer that will be located behind the bar counter. I had told the owners that it will need to be on a GFCI when we were in the planning stage.

The owner texted me today with info that the sales rep told him it can’t be on a GFCI. I asked him to see if he could find out the reasoning. I haven’t heard back but I’m guessing it’s similar to the OP’s situation?

If the mfr is sure it won't work with a GFCI (high leakage current), then that sure doesn't make me want to buy the thing! Especially a washing machine for an area that will have water splashed all around.

Unlike AFCIs, GFCIs work every time and when they trip, it's usually for a good reason! I don't like getting shocked...

TomYing

Occupation
Consulting Engineering
Thanks everyone for your input and opinions. I come from a commercial equipment manufacturing background and the number one reason commercial refrigeration manufacturers don't like GFI's, other than the fact that they are not always reliable. Is that in a commercial refrigeration setting, literally thousand of dollars of food could be spoiled and lost over night, commercial ranges tripping can possibly provide undercooked food, neither an acceptable scenario. Commercial appliances are in the business of providing 'safe food'. Kitchens are eclectically and electronically noisy.

NEC made rulings by saying protect everything without drilling down to the causal and impact of the rule. So I guess there is no real answer other than to try to follow the commercial manufacturers installation recommendations and try to discuss and reason with the local safety inspectors for approval or solution,

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks everyone for your input and opinions. I come from a commercial equipment manufacturing background and the number one reason commercial refrigeration manufacturers don't like GFI's, other than the fact that they are not always reliable. Is that in a commercial refrigeration setting, literally thousand of dollars of food could be spoiled and lost over night, commercial ranges tripping can possibly provide undercooked food, neither an acceptable scenario. Commercial appliances are in the business of providing 'safe food'. Kitchens are eclectically and electronically noisy.

NEC made rulings by saying protect everything without drilling down to the causal and impact of the rule. So I guess there is no real answer other than to try to follow the commercial manufacturers installation recommendations and try to discuss and reason with the local safety inspectors for approval or solution,
Sounds like you don't like the answers you have received. You can try to get around the code but be prepared to take all the liability that goes with it. It would behoove you to read the ROP's that brought the rule into the code.

Roger

synchro

Occupation
EE
There are devices that can indicate and/or notify that a power outage has occurred from a tripped GFCI or another cause. The alert can be a local audible alarm. Or some products will send an alert via a wi-fi or cellular network to their server, which will then provide a notification to the customer about the outage with a phone call or text message. These typically also provide a history of the outages so you can know when they occurred and their duration.
So the bottom line is that the problems mentioned with food can be largely overcome without sacrificing the safety provided by the required GFCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.