GFI Receptacle w/horizontal S.Pole switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most all receptacle manufacturers provide a single GFI receptacle and horizontal operation of a single pole switch on one yoke. Toggle type or rocker switch.
I am seeing these in use on furnaces. Because the switch is mounted horizontal and without markings there is no indication of what position is on or off.
Checking with manufacturers they report there are no requirements to identify the on or off position. I have found no requirement in the 2017 or 2020 that would
require the installers to identify the direction for on or off. I feel this could pose a safety issue. I suppose Art. 90.4 could be used by the AHJ to require permanent marking. Any thought?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Have you looked at 404.7

404.7 Indicating. General-use and motor-circuit switches,
circuit breakers, and molded case switches, where mounted in
an enclosure as described in 404.3, shall clearly indicate
whether they are in the open (off) or closed (on) position.
Where these switch or circuit breaker handles are operated
vertically rather than rotationally or horizontally, the up position
of the handle shall be the closed (on) position.

Exception No. 1: Vertically operated double-throw switches shall be
permitted to be in the closed (on) position with the handle in either the
up or down position.

Exception No. 2: On busway installations, tap switches employing a
center-pivoting handle shall be permitted to be open or closed with either
end of the handle in the up or down position. The switch position shall
be clearly indicating and shall be visible from the floor or from the usual
point of operation.

Most all receptacle manufacturers provide a single GFI receptacle and horizontal operation of a single pole switch on one yoke. Toggle type or rocker switch.
I am seeing these in use on furnaces. Because the switch is mounted horizontal and without markings there is no indication of what position is on or off.
Checking with manufacturers they report there are no requirements to identify the on or off position. I have found no requirement in the 2017 or 2020 that would
require the installers to identify the direction for on or off. I feel this could pose a safety issue. I suppose Art. 90.4 could be used by the AHJ to require permanent marking. Any thought?
Looking at 2017 NEC Art. 404.3 Enclosure. The wording "mounted in an enclosure listed for the intended use" leads me to believe we can enforce Art. 404.7 Indicating the position needs to be permanently marked on or off. We are saying the box is listed and approved for this type of use.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Looking at 2017 NEC Art. 404.3 Enclosure. The wording "mounted in an enclosure listed for the intended use" leads me to believe we can enforce Art. 404.7 Indicating the position needs to be permanently marked on or off. We are saying the box is listed and approved for this type of use.
npavicic, please fill out your profile with your occupation.

kwired

Electron manager
404.7 references you to 404.3 for certain switch types as part of it's requirements.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The language " shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open (off) or closed (on) position." would be satisfied with a field applied label?

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
The language " shall clearly indicate whether they are in the open (off) or closed (on) position." would be satisfied with a field applied label?

Cheers, Wayne
good luck convincing some inspectors that, though as written I think it probably acceptable.

kwired

Electron manager
On top of the marking you mentioned horziontal installation, which if using the kind of switch I think you are referring to would make the switch itself operate vertically - up must be on (closed switch) and down must be off (open switch)in all cases with this orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.