Girl needs help with question

Status
Not open for further replies.

panther

Hi. I was wondering if it is possible to replace all of the wiring inside the walls of a house. I was told by one person that you couldn't do it, that you had to put all new external conduit and leave the old rommex in the walls. Someone else told me it was easy, you just pull new ones through using the old ones. Please help clarify. Thanks.

[ February 28, 2003, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: panther ]

aphares

Re: Girl needs help with question

re-wiring houses is done every day. A good DIY book might help you understand on how it is done.

Good luck.

luke warmwater

You do not "have to" put all new external conduit and leave old wiring in walls. It is very possible to fish-in new wires. I doubt very much that you would get many(if any) wires pulled in using the old ones, if the wires were originally secured correctly. Wiremold or similar raceway is sometimes(not always) the only alternative without damage to walls.

daveselectric

Panther,

What are you trying to accomplish?
Your house [age, condition,type of structure & etc] :) has to be looked at and than an assement is made based on your current and future needs. A good electrician can fish new wires with minimal damage to the walls if any at all.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Originally posted by panther:
Hi. I was wondering if it is possible to replace all of the wiring inside the walls of a house.

Yes

I was told by one person that you couldn't do it, that you had to put all new external conduit and leave the old rommex in the walls.

Crap

Someone else told me it was easy, you just pull new ones through using the old ones.

No it is not easy

Please help clarify. Thanks.
Mike P.

-marty

I agree with the other posts.

If you have a one story house with a crawl space and attic it shouldn't be too difficult (but it is time consuming). Any other house design gets harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.