Give them credit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Heres my Question do you give builders credits on home runs if you do a renovation and you use the existing home run wiring.Some Reno Jobs I will figure something thats on the print and we will end up not using or doing it IE supply exhaust fans HO does or 2 surface fixtures we do 1 do you volunteer credits or do you wait to be asked?

ultramegabob

It depends on how I worded the contract, if I said pull all new home runs, I would have to let them know, If I worded it as all wiring necessary or somthing to that effect, I would not offer any more information than they need to know.

bikeindy

I only charge for what I did. I give an estimate for what we believe will be needed and on renovations it is easy to have extras and not need to do other things that you thought were needed. communication with the contractor is key here.

Rewire

Jerseydaze said:
Heres my Question do you give builders credits on home runs if you do a renovation and you use the existing home run wiring.Some Reno Jobs I will figure something thats on the print and we will end up not using or doing it IE supply exhaust fans HO does or 2 surface fixtures we do 1 do you volunteer credits or do you wait to be asked?
It is called profit.

ivsenroute

ultramegabob said:
It depends on how I worded the contract, if I said pull all new home runs, I would have to let them know, If I worded it as all wiring necessary or somthing to that effect, I would not offer any more information than they need to know.

Most ethical answer.

Bonus for you!

jrannis

Jerseydaze said:

Thats the best one ever. I gotta remember this.
I really liked the punchline!!!:grin:

bikeindy

iwire said:
If the job ends up costing you more then your estimate would the GC pay more?

If the job ends up costing me more than my estimate I need to get out of the contracting business. I always have a clause when it comes to remodle work, because you never know what you might find but I have a very good idea before I start. I don't charge for work I didn't do even if it was on the estimate, does a store charge you for food you didn't buy even if it was on your shopping list?

220/221

It is called profit.

I call it gravy.

You can't always tell exactly what you will run into when estimating remodel work so we figure worst case scenario. If we spend the time and find something that helps our cause we are happy.

If it was a HUGE deal or a preferred client we would kick something back. That doesn't happen often though. Most of the time it's "Sweet! There are a couple of spare circuits here :)"

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bikeindy said:
. . . does a store charge you for food you didn't buy even if it was on your shopping list?
Does a restaurant charge you for what you order, even if you don't eat all of it? :cool:

westelectric

Jerseydaze said:
credit for using existing hrs-never, credit for owner supplying exhaust fan that i proposed to furnish-always, credit for only doing 1 fixture when i proposed to do 2-always. Yes i will volunteer these credits.

iwire

Staff member
bikeindy said:
If the job ends up costing me more than my estimate I need to get out of the contracting business.

True, but not the point.

does a store charge you for food you didn't buy even if it was on your shopping list?

It would if we agreed about the price before I went in the store.

Big difference between a contract work and T&M.

iwire

Staff member
westelectric said:
credit for using existing hrs-never, credit for owner supplying exhaust fan that i proposed to furnish-always, credit for only doing 1 fixture when i proposed to do 2-always. Yes i will volunteer these credits.

That I would credit as well, but that is hardly the same as finding there are existing home runs that can be reused. :smile:

Rewire

westelectric said:
had an owner supply an exhaust fan cheap 4.0 sones and they complained it made noise and it was because we installed it wrong.We went out and looked and everything was done correct we explained that this was a noisy faqn but the owner said the "other" electrician they called said it was because it was installed wrong and they were not paying for it or the service call.

Status
Not open for further replies.