Giving the work away....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JES2727

It's hard enough to compete with the low-ballers, now this guy will trade electrical work for a canoe!

From Craig's List:

Electrical Contractor ? Licensed and Insured! - $1 (Central NJ)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-717507899@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-06-12, 2:15PM EDT

I am a NJ licensed and insured electrical contractor. I am interested in providing my electrical services for barter or trade for any merchandise or service with an equivalent value. All reasonable proposals will be considered, and I will respond to all inquiries.

I also provide free estimates for those simply interested in contracting electrical work in a traditional way.

I can provide new service panels, meter sockets, service entrance cables, as well as lighting, appliance, and general convenience branch circuits for both residential, and small commercial customers

I am most interested bartering for residential services such as, HVAC, Flooring, landscaping, windows, and doors.

Thanks! Robert

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

mdshunk

He did say of equal vaule. Nothing about it being cheap. Sounds like they guy has a pretty good barter system worked out to try and get some other work done on his house. I say, bravo to him.

nakulak

IRS rules apply to barter just as they do to any other transaction

that being said, be careful what you barter for.

A guy I know bartered for a stuffed bear sometime in the 90's. At some point he took it to a consignment store. A dnr policeman saw it in the store. Due to many laws and restrictions, many people got in serious trouble. (this story is way too long to post all the details)

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
jmsbrush said:
I do not feel like there is anything wrong with trading out youre service for something that is of equal value

Except that IRS may not agree with you unless you declare it as income. And we all know that is not likely.

tmbrk

I have to say I personally agree with the OP. IMO it's just not very professional. What's wrong with doing the work for money and then buying what you want/need? In the past I have traded work with other licensed tradesman with differing results. But It's been a long time and I wouldn't do that again either.

Again, this is only my opinion.

tmbrk

Dennis Alwon said:
Except that IRS may not agree with you unless you declare it as income. And we all know that is not likely.

I would imagine that is the whole idea behind the CL contractors ad. He wants to leave the taxman out of the equation. I don't like the IRS anymore than anyone else, but if that is his intention it could get him in trouble.

nakulak

so this guy is "advertising" that he's willing to barter. so what. if anyone suggest that this is "taking money out of their pocket" I'm going to puke. He's being creative, industrious, and clever. My hat is off to him, and I wish him the best of luck. I hope he drives a hard bargain, because its easy to get stuck on the short end of that deal.

satcom

tmbrk said:
I would imagine that is the whole idea behind the CL contractors ad. He wants to leave the taxman out of the equation. I don't like the IRS anymore than anyone else, but if that is his intention it could get him in trouble.

What a nice guy, leave the rest of us to pay his share of taxes, just can't say eniough good about the creep, if that is what he is doing.

Last edited:

480sparky

satcom said:
What a nice guy, leave the rest of us to pay his share of taxes, just can't say eniough good about the creep, if that is what he is doing.

If. Very important here. Why does everyone think those on CL are scumbags?

Geez, all the guy does is post an ad. Perfectly legal. What's the difference between a CL ad and a flyer down on the bulliten board at the grocery store?

360Youth

tmbrk said:
IMO it's just not very professional. What's wrong with doing the work for money and then buying what you want/need? In the past I have traded work with other licensed tradesman with differing results. But It's been a long time and I wouldn't do that again either.

Again, this is only my opinion.

Some people value different things different ways. A $500 electrical job may be worth a $900 concrete job just so neither parties have to deal with or feel unqualified to tackele their own task. When my wife and I were finishing our house upstairs a friend was doing the same. I wired his for him and he helped me hang the sheetrock on mine. I am all for bartering. Use your resources, I say. The ad guy was offering traditional ways if that is what the customer prefered.

emahler

480sparky said:
If. Very important here. Why does everyone think those on CL are scumbags?

Geez, all the guy does is post an ad. Perfectly legal. What's the difference between a CL ad and a flyer down on the bulliten board at the grocery store?

it's like advertising your legitimate used auto parts in a paper with nothing but illegal chop shops...while their is nothing wrong with it, you will be known by the company you keep...

Status
Not open for further replies.