Gland Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

masroorhossain

New User
Hello,

I am to design a gland plate for an arc resistant metal clad 15KV medium voltage switchgear. We have 1000MCM 5 cables per phase jacketed concentric neutral cables coming in to the underside of the gland plate and then these cables terminate in the gland plate plate and the bus bars of the gland plate continue to the back of the switchgear.

I am not sure how to design a gland plate, who designs a gland plate, how to know how the cables will termintae in the gland plate and how will the gland plate be connected to the back side of the switchgear. I do not seem to be able to find any diagram for this arrangement.

Is it possible to provide answers as well as diagrams for the connections? Who are the manufacturers of gland plates? Is it a device that needs to be designed by electrical engineer or mehcanical engineer or is this device ready available to be bought from the market?

Thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Who is directing you to design the gland plate?

Why does the installation need it?

Sounds like a project for custom gear manufacturer... (Is that you?)

Typically over here a gland plate is simply a cover plate with bolt-to-gear holes around its periphery. Holes are punched where needed to secure cable [gland] connectors. And that's it. What you're describing sounds more like a cable to busway to gear terminal transition.

Tony S

This is the way I had transformer gland plates made.

If you?re using sheathed single core only one end should be earthed (grounded) otherwise circulating currents could become a major problem. I?ve had them melt transformer tails. Our practice was to earth (ground) the sheath at the end with the neutral earth (ground) link (jumper).

Gland-plate_zpsld6ergg6.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The problem here is that if the equipment is certified as "Arc Resistant", then ANY modification that you do to it will void that certification. Part of the process of certifying it is to ensure that the pressure of an arc blast will be safely contained. If you cut out a section of the wall or floor to make your own gland plate, that becomes unevaluated.

Status
Not open for further replies.