Good fluorescent light for closet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZsparky

Have a project to install closet lighting in a home circa 1941. Currently has a constant hot ceiling rough about 5" from the storage shelf. I am looking for an over the door wall mounted fluorescent fixture that will actually throw some good light. The U/C lights seem too shy on lumens. The closet is about 4' wide and maybe 36" deep with an 8' ceiling and standard door. NEC restrictions limit me to this type of fixture for this application. Any suggestions on a fixture choice?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is my opinion that you can install a one foot max. fluorescent in this closet. Look at art.410.2 very carefully. A 4 foot wide closet leaves you with 2 feet after deducting for a shelf whether there is a shelf or not. Now you need 6" on both sides which leaves you with a 1 foot fluorescent

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tom baker said:
Sylvania makes a fluorescent "keyless lamp". It has a CF lamp, seen at the wholesale house, around $12.00.....

Tom does this fixture have a ballast with PLC bulbs?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
tom baker said:
Sylvania makes a fluorescent "keyless lamp". It has a CF lamp, seen at the wholesale house, around $12.00.....

I've seen those too (not sure if it's Sylvania though) marketed as a closet fixture, they're going to cause some headaches for inspectors for awhile on rough in inspections.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.