gotta quote a parking structure light retrofit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
parking structure, six levels.

32 x 2 T-8 fixtures existing.

they want to make the areas around the elevators brighter.
anything i add that is brighter than what is existing, will draw
more current, and overload existing circuiting.

they want a consistent design, so they can scale it out to cover
the whole parking structure.

i'm thinking LED is the only thing brighter than T-8's that won't
draw so much current that it overloads existing circuiting.

anyone got suggestions as to a type of fixture that would work?
this is a precast prestressed concrete structure with lights up in
the webs.... they plan to paint the surface white to increase the
lighting quality.

if anyone has suggestions for a particular fixture, you know and
like, it'd be a big help.

ritelec

they want to make the areas around the elevators brighter.

they want a consistent design, so they can scale it out to cover
the whole parking structure.

this is a precast prestressed concrete structure with lights up in
the webs....

Just thoughts here. Use the shaft for an extra run to add light at each level?

Can the existing or new lights "in the webs" get installed hanging lower.......down from the top of the web (surface)...and instead hanging "evenish" with the bottom of the rib and still keep your height for traffic?

Just thoughts here.

kwired

Electron manager
Is it possible to increase voltage to gain more capacity? If what is there now is 120 volt you could change to 277 volt luminaires. I like the idea of bringing the luminaires down so they are "evenish" in the bottom of the webs it will better distribute what light you do have.

ritelec

One more thought..... Did/Do you have a chance to open some points?.......
Maybe they left you room in the existing runs for future expansion. ???

satcom

One more thought..... Did/Do you have a chance to open some points?.......
Maybe they left you room in the existing runs for future expansion. ???

Good point, open and inspect existing wires, many times we find the entire system in parking decks, full of rot and decay, and end up running all new raceway.

iwire

Staff member
Just thoughts here. Use the shaft for an extra run to add light at each level?

620.37 Wiring in Hoistways, Machine Rooms, Control
Rooms, Machinery Spaces, and Control Spaces.

(A) Uses Permitted.
Only such electrical wiring, raceways,
and cables used directly in connection with the elevator or
dumbwaiter, including wiring for signals, for communication
with the car, for lighting, heating, air conditioning, and ventilating
the elevator car, for fire detecting systems, for pit sump
pumps, and for heating, lighting, and ventilating the hoistway,
shall be permitted inside the hoistway, machine rooms, control
rooms, machinery spaces, and control spaces.

You can't use an elevator shaft for a chase way.

ritelec

You can't use an elevator shaft for a chase way.

Thank you iwire.

I feel the article explains itself. but....

Going out on a limb here........"directly in connection with elevator", "for lighting".

Would not a light illuminating the "elevator" door when door is closed, and partially illuminating in the "elevator" when the door is open be covered?

Out on a limb........ha ha ha.....

BullsnPyrs

32 x 2 T-8 fixtures existing.

Not enough information to pick a replacement fixture. A 2 lamp fixture using Sylvania ballast is rated between 4400 lumens @ 48 watts and 7440 Lumens at 74 watts depending on ballast factors and ballast model. Add in high efficency lamps, fixture design ( open strips/vaportight/strips with reflectors ) and we do not know your starting point.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
I'm getting close to getting let loose on a similar project at Triangle square. Its 3 lamp vaportite fixtures in all the bays alternating, 2-1-2-1. Turns out they installed the vaportites the wrong direction, so all the light is pushed out the diffuser out to the webs. Never hitting the floor. We only need to add 40 fixtures if we turn 240...... Probably shot in with a hilti......oh joy.

Fulthrotl

I'm getting close to getting let loose on a similar project at Triangle square. Its 3 lamp vaportite fixtures in all the bays alternating, 2-1-2-1. Turns out they installed the vaportites the wrong direction, so all the light is pushed out the diffuser out to the webs. Never hitting the floor. We only need to add 40 fixtures if we turn 240...... Probably shot in with a hilti......oh joy.

they are actually doing something with triangle square? i thought it was being preserved
as a monument to mismanagement.

funny you should mention triangle square.... i know the foreman who did a lot of the core on that...
and i can almost guarantee that everything was shot in with a hilti... morrow meadows was prime
electrical on that when it was built.

Fulthrotl

Not enough information to pick a replacement fixture. A 2 lamp fixture using Sylvania ballast is rated between 4400 lumens @ 48 watts and 7440 Lumens at 74 watts depending on ballast factors and ballast model. Add in high efficency lamps, fixture design ( open strips/vaportight/strips with reflectors ) and we do not know your starting point.

the starting point is home depot 2 tube strip lights. it seems that the original fixtures in this structure were removed and
replaced with "lowest bidder" specials, mounted on the bottom of the webs, with unsupported 1/2" flex going up to the
octagon boxes in the webs. not a very elegant installation.

BullsnPyrs

the starting point is home depot 2 tube strip lights. it seems that the original fixtures in this structure were removed and
replaced with "lowest bidder" specials, mounted on the bottom of the webs, with unsupported 1/2" flex going up to the
octagon boxes in the webs. not a very elegant installation.

A seat of the pants solution would be to change to single lamp 28w T5 fixtures, replace 2 for one with the new fixture. This should give you slightly higher output with a better distribution and slightly lower power consumption. Around the elevators you can change the orientation and reduce the spacing to increase light levels.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The tube type LED retrofit kits aren't cost effective and the distribution of light is too directional for use in a parking garage.

Don't know about cost, remember as an inspector we'll make it right no matter how much it cost's you.:happyyes:

As for the light, he simply said he wanted it brighter not nore. Here in CA we are required to do outdoor lighting energy and parking garages are not exempt, so he is limited on the amount of wattage he can install.

Fulthrotl

Don't know about cost, remember as an inspector we'll make it right no matter how much it cost's you.:happyyes:

As for the light, he simply said he wanted it brighter not nore. Here in CA we are required to do outdoor lighting
energy and parking garages are not exempt, so he is limited on the amount of wattage he can install.

yep. title 24 will not allow me to use more power than the original design, and without rewiring,
neither will the circuit breakers, beyond a small amount, so i'm left really with LED as an option.

i looked 6 months ago at LED replacement lamps, and that wasn't gonna work economically...
so i was wondering if anyone on here had found specific lights that they liked.

thanks for the feedback, guys....

Status
Not open for further replies.