gound to building steel or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug720

I am tapping a 20 amp 120v outside lighting circuit and installing a small transformer to enable myself to wire a 277v sign. The sign only draws 3 amps. My question is, do I have to gound the transformer back to building steel or not? And why?

Thanks,
Aug720

kevinware

As I read 600.5(A)

" Each commercial building and each commercial occupancy accessible to pedestrians shall be provided with at least one outlet in an accessible location at each entrance to each tenant space for sign or outline lighting system use. The outlet(s) shall be supplied by a branch circuit rated at least 20 amperes that supplies no other load."

Would this verbiage suggest having to add another 20 amp circuit for the sign?

Thanks,
Kevin

Aug720

THE TRANSFORMER IS ONLY 1KVA

AND SORRY BUT THE SIGN CIRCUIT DOESN'T APPLY, IT IS A ADDITIONAL SIGN ON THE OUTSIDE OF A EXISTING BUILDING.

Aug720

Could anyone tell me how you know when you have to bond the transformer back to building steel and when you don't? Is it determined by the size of the transformer?
Thanks for the help,
aug720

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: gound to building steel or not?

Aug720 said:
My question is, do I have to gound the transformer back to building steel or not? And why?
By "gound the transformer", do you mean the metallic parts, or a secondary conductor?

Status
Not open for further replies.