GR Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Is it code/always the case to have box with cover for all ground rods as indicated below.

This Contractor is to furnish, install and coordinate with Foundations Contractor the installation
of all Cast Metal Diamond plate covers and pre-cast electrical box (provided by this Contractor)
for all Grounding Rod access locations.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
What is the application? Have seen applications where testing and ongoing monitoring of grounding equipment is needed. The specific method is usually at discretion of customer/engineer/contractor.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No it's not required by the NEC. We do this on new construction jobs which probably has to do with future testing but I'm not sure why anyone would want to test this.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
No it's not required by the NEC. We do this on new construction jobs which probably has to do with future testing but I'm not sure why anyone would want to test this.
Yes they are asking for (5) test wells but then a box for every ground rod( there are 15) so it's contradictory.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Who is actually going to test this and why? Seems like nothing more than snake oil to me.

cadpoint

It's a spec Item, I don't see the big deal, I've only seen new construction using Quartz(sp) Boxes,
the materials used are very similar to what the OP posted. Your dealing with UL 96A or NFPA 780.

You want to read about it or go get certified one can go to
or Goggle - license lightning protection.

The military likes them around ammo buildings which might be a combination of ground ring and lightning protection. Also around building on airfields where the airfield power building is called a vault (that's
above ground), the combo is installed and are documented and the records kept, the records are
given to the owners, Army Corp of Engineers, NAVSEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.