graphic eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric

i am installing a graphic eye system this system requires the use of low voltage cable this cable has a outer covering marked cl3 pvc coated 300v this has been supplied by lutron can i install this in a box with 120v power does this pvc jacket allow me to use 725-54(1) exception 1 does this jacket count as a raceway this project has concrete walls with 3" of foam on each side so i have to use 4sq boxes with p-rings don't think they make dividers for these

mhulbert

Re: graphic eye

Eric,
I ahve installed 2 of these systems. I sleeved the LV cable with 3M heat shrink to give myself some piece of mind, good electrical tape will work as well.

Lutron has an app note on this that addresses the issue:
Click here
Their tech support number is also VERY good, they have answered the weirdest questions to me without any problems.

I don't think you need to sleeve it, but what does 10" of heat shrink cost? Also, if 120 ever got on the Class 2 conductors, you'd fry all of your accessory controls, and I'm sure you know that those aren't cheap.

Oh yeah, you said that you are using boxes w/ plaster rings...I'm not sure these are deep enough, I used masonry boxes (like a bowers MB-4), they are 3.5" deep and give you a lot more room than a 5g switch box with a 4 gang cover, I think thats only 2" deep, check your lutron manual, as this may be too shallow. They can take LV partitions as well, if you need them.
Mike

eric

Mike I used a deep 3.5" 4 gang nail on for my master controller. the exterior walls are 2.5" of foam and then concrete. masonary boxes don't work unless you shim them out from the concrete a .5" with a 4sq I can put a 1.5" plaster ring on them. I have talked to lutron on this system I just didn't ask them about this

kelley

Occupation
Estimator

I agree lutron technical service is top notch! always answers all questions without complaint. I try to use deep mud boxes for grafik eyes whenever possible they seem to work the best and finish out nice with the grafik trim plate. The lutron comm cable has not been an issue so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.