Greenlee 640 Tugger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Greenlee 640 tugger that I want to use to remove stuck fish tape from a embedded 3/4" conduit. I plan on mounting the tugger directly to the concrete floor without the mounting frame from Greenlee. From discussion with Greenlee, they want recommend this due to liability issues. Yet, this is the only way I have used this device. So my question is, has anyone had any issues with using a tugger this way?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Given the small conduit size and small fish tape IMO you can pretty much rig that any way you want just use proper anchors.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
two things- did you try hooking it from the other end with another fish tape? and sometimes chucking the steel in a chuck on your drill and blasting it full speed will work... i assume the leader is doing the chinese finger trick thing in the pipe?

Gary11734

I have a Greenlee 640 tugger that I want to use to remove stuck fish tape from a embedded 3/4" conduit. I plan on mounting the tugger directly to the concrete floor without the mounting frame from Greenlee. From discussion with Greenlee, they want recommend this due to liability issues. Yet, this is the only way I have used this device. So my question is, has anyone had any issues with using a tugger this way?

Don't worry. The fish tape will break long before you bog down the tugger. Sounds like a good plan.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hoping this is helpful:

The first time I used a tugger was as a helper. I was alone at the time (the boss trusted my problem-solving skills early on) and had to pull a 400a 3ph feeder through an underground conduit to a new kitchen in the basement of a church.

(We also added a third parallel service entrance conduit and conductors, run through the same CT's. It was fun watching the POCO guys closing the primary cut-outs. They had to reset the last one several times, and the arcing was spectacular.)

The tugging pulled up on the bottom of the panel, so I shaped a 2x4 to fit between the head of the tugger and the edge of the conduit bushing so all of the force was applied between the tugger and the conduit, not between the tugger and the building.

My point is that it may not be necessary to attach the tugger to the floor if you apply the force directly between the two objects. I equate it to loosening a tight pipe joint by applying force to two wrenches rather than between one wrench and your feet.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Do it all the time, chain mounted to power pole(the big ones), use 3/8 drop ins, are you going to rig a wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.