grid ceiling fixture mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Does anyone here have a problem with the ceiling tile wanting to raise up in the grid when installing a surface mount fixture? Using a Caddy 512 for instance.I always end up having to wedge something between the floor joist and the tile to keep it pushed down no matter if I set the box flush or even below the face of the tile.

Buck Parrish

Did you mean to say between the floor joice. It's likely the ceiling grid.

Yes, any one whom has done a lot of commercial work has had that problem.
How ever after doing enough of them . It will and you can make it fit perfect.

Sometimes it will take two caddy bars.
It's tedious.

We install ceiling fans in drop ceilings all the time. Now that's tricky. Every thing has to be precise. Don't rush, keep a clear mind. It's like clock work. It will all come together perfect.

But yes I can remember when I was new. We put all kinds of stuff wedged under them.

It really helps to use two bars.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Did you mean to say between the floor joice. It's likely the ceiling grid.
It sounded to me as if he meant that he opened up the next tile over and literally wedged (a large) something between the device in the tile in place and the overhead structure, whether that was the nearest joist or the subfloor above.
I guess that the raceway or cable attached to the device might tend to lift it and the tile up unless the fit was actually designed to push down on the device. (Of course that makes getting the tile in somewhat problematic.):)

Buck Parrish

Yeah, your probably right, it was the floor joice above him that he was referring to. . Which was likely right there. The electrician always puts the tile in when they are installing the fixture. But whom ever has to come behind him will be cussing when they see all the stuff you wedged in there. . But that's not unusual either.

The tile usually sags due to all the weight. Like I said it can be done right. It just take some manipulation of the item you are hanging.

cadpoint

Your not doing one of three things wrong; not setting the Caddy correctly via the set clips on each side of the support or your using the incorrect box for depth.
Lastly you might be drawing the cover plate up to tight to the box edge.

The box has to be flush period, then there will be no draw up the ceiling tile.

kwired

Electron manager
If there is a gap between the ceiling tile and the bar hanger (no matter what model it is) if you are installing a fixture that is designed to tighten up against the ceiling -it is going to try to raise the tile if there is nothing to hold that tile from moving. I have no solution other then to place some foreign spacing material between the bar hanger and ceiling tile or other similar method. It won't make the tile sag, as the light fixture is pulling upward against it and the bar hanger is ultimately supporting it.

Joe Villani

Does anyone here have a problem with the ceiling tile wanting to raise up in the grid when installing a surface mount fixture? Using a Caddy 512 for instance.I always end up having to wedge something between the floor joist and the tile to keep it pushed down no matter if I set the box flush or even below the face of the tile.

I grab the left over ceiling tiles pieces that are cut from the corners and edges. Cut them into small squares or strips and wedge them between the ceiling tile and the caddy bar.

Nom Deplume

Stop using octagon boxes with the 512 and use a 4"sq with a round plaster ring.
This will stop the tile from lifting.
We do this for exit signs all the time and then we don't need to wedge anything between the bar and the tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.