Ground Bar and ground hubs

SparkyInCali

New User
Occupation
Electron Wrangler
So I have a question and haven't found an answer for it. We are running a wall mounted ground Bar in an electrical room to connect the GEC from the MSB and also multiple transformers in the room. Normally when I have done this we have ran the various GEC in EMT to the ground Bar. We then do an offset to get the pipe the same distance off the wall as the ground bar and stop 6-8" short of the ground bar. The GEC goes through a ground hub on the end of the EMT and then attached to the ground bar. The foreman this time is telling us the ground hubs need to be bolted to the bar which creates a few problems. The is really not room to crimp on the lug and then bolt to the bar. Second there is not much room for the two screws on the clamping part of the hub to go through before they hit the ground bar. Is he correct that they should be connected to the bar? Is there a code section I can find stating either way.

Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The GEC goes through a ground hub on the end of the EMT and then attached to the ground bar.
That is all that's required by the NEC but it can be done either way. A GEC is permitted to be run exposed and when protected by a ferrous raceway the raceway must be attached to the GEC. The raceway is not required to attach to the ground bar.