Ground / bond ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

A 200 amp panel has two sub panels fed from it in same building with gal conduit with 3 wires. This one sub is wired just like the main. Do I need the fourth wire once I remove the bond from the sub and install a bar for all the egc on the neutral bar ?
thanks to all for their help.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You would only need a 4th wire for an equipment ground if the GRC did not provide a low impedance path for grounding.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What do you mean by galvanized conduit? EMT or GRC?

If it is GRC and in good shape I would use it as my eequipment ground. If EMT I would poke around a bit more but would most likely use it. Pulling a fourth wire would be my fith choice; if the conduit isn't suitable for EGC then there are more problems to address.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you're now using the metallic conduit as an EGC then some other code issues may arise, what's the voltage?

jimbo123

voltage is 3W 120/240 sub is about 5' from main . Conduit is treaded 1.25" with double locknuts and bushing. My thinking is to remove the bond in the sub and install a ground bar for the egc's. Does anyone see anything else I might need to do. Thanks again.
Right now this sub panel is wired just like the main panel using 3 wires . I like to correct this and be sure its correct.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I;m in agreement and this question would not change the answer IMO but is the sub fed by a breaker in the main or is it "feed thru" ?

jimbo123

voltage is 3W 120/240 sub is about 5' from main . Conduit is treaded 1.25" with double locknuts and bushing. My thinking is to remove the bond in the sub and install a ground bar for the egc's. Does anyone see anything else I might need to do. Thanks again.
Right now this sub panel is wired just like the main panel using 3 wires . I like to correct this and be sure its correct.
it is feed with a breaker from the main panel.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
A 200 amp panel has two sub panels fed from it in same building with gal conduit with 3 wires. This one sub is wired just like the main. Do I need the fourth wire once I remove the bond from the sub and install a bar for all the egc on the neutral bar ?
thanks to all for their help.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.