Ground from box to water pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had my house main panel switched from fuse to breaker. The panel has a ground wire going straight to a water pipe about 15 feet from the meter. Is this still within code or do I need to have that wire go directly to a grounding rod or possibly the base of the water meter pipe?

bphgravity

Re: Ground from box to water pipe

Generally, this type of work requires a permit and inspection. The enforcement agent would be able to determine if the grounding of your electrical system is compliant with the NEC.

There are many rules and requirements associated with when and how water pipe grounding is permitted and performed. This would be impossible to answer based on your brief description.

haskindm

Re: Ground from box to water pipe

The first thing you will need to determine is if the water line is being used as a grounding electrode. If it is then it must be supplemented with another grounding electrode. If it is not being used as a grounding electrode, then it must be "bonded" to the electrical grounding system. I suspect that what you are looking at is a bonding connection, and that you will find that your system is grounded elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.