ground lighting/strobe effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jute

I'm replacing ground lighting at a set of apartment with about 15 lights on the circuit and when I got there the landscapers had hit and ripped up the underground sched 40/circuit wire in a 3 different places. I repaired it at all three places and still had a string of (5) that didn't work so I stole power from a nearby j-box that had house power in it and hooked them up to the new power then put a photocell on them (different circuit) ... Everything worked fine and then I got a call this morning saying that the ones I ran new power to and a couple before them are strobeing, as in on then off every couple of minutes??? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?? Could a bad photocell cause this or still have damaged wires somewhere or running part from the house power and part on the light circuit with wires not being seperated and still connected between the 2 circuits somewhere or ?? Any help is appreciated, I'm going out there in the morning and looking for clues to try and resolve this...Thanks and have a great day, Jerry :confused:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are these line voltage lights? If they are LV then perhaps to much wattage on the trany or in some cases not enough watts.

jute

Lights shining on photocell??

I thought it might be a bad photocell but in most cases I've seen when the photocell goes bad the lights stay on or stay off and usually don't strobe...The photocell is underneath a stair way and don't think it has any lights close enough to effect it??? I'll bypass the photocell first but could it have anything to do with using the 120v house circuit and the 120v lighting cuircuit crossing and making contact underground??? Thanks, Jerry

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
could it have anything to do with using the 120v house circuit and the 120v lighting cuircuit crossing and making contact underground??? Thanks, Jerry

I don't think so but check to see if you have the line and load of the photocell crossed. I seemed to remember this causing the same problem you have. It could be just a bad photocell also.

jute

I don't think so but check to see if you have the line and load of the photocell crossed. I seemed to remember this causing the same problem you have. It could be just a bad photocell also.

Thanks for the help, I'm heading out there this morning...Jerry

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

Dennis has it right.
Line and load of the photocell are crossed. I've seen it several times.

jute

Well, we are waiting to hear the results. :smile:
I went over to the property and weny strait to the photocell...line and load wires were wired backwards... I talked to the manager before I left and she said they stobe on and off dring the night and stay on during the day:grin: Thanks again for the help...JB

Status
Not open for further replies.