ground mount solar photovoltaics and cable trays

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocoee

We are currently in the design process for large photovoltaic array. I have done several installations similar to this one. Usually we go underground with the "combined" DC source circuits. The system owner is has a strong personality and would like us to do all above ground wire management. We can do conduit but it has many challenges both from a installation standpoint, as well as cost and long term efficiency. I saw a picture of a ground mount system done with a cable tray type product called cable snake. They were routing several # 10 use-2 sunlight resistant single conductors. Looking at NEC 392-10 B1a requires a minimum of 1/0 for single conductors. What am missing? Also what class of cable is use-2 because I do not see where it is a approved method according to this article.

It seems like it should be a approved method given that running DC source circuits under the array is accepted. IE interconnection between modules require no more than a clip or zip ties.

Fyi The entire array is behind a fence and accessible to only qualified personal.

thanks for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.