Ground rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspifldorf

If your local backhole operator, unintentionally, locates your ground ring and rips it in half, what are your reconnecting options? Must it be cadwelded, or will splitbolts be permissable?

dicklaxt

In 45 years of exposure I only recall one client that allowed bolted connections underground.I do recall another who allowed a bolted connection and then it had to be potted with a poured compound.

dick

dicklaxt

Heres a link to just one of many,they even have the mold material,do a Google Search on Potting Compound.It is only for a moisture seal,,,,,,,,,,,,,use of potting compound would have to have client buyin.

http://www.jgreer.com/electronic-potting.htm

I have seen a potting compound sold by OZ that they just used a sandwich baggie for the mold layed inside of a short piece of PVC split conduit half shell(think oyster LOL).I saw the phone company once splice a coax cable in my yard and lay it in a tube of silicon caulk that they split open end ways,and then just squeezed it closed carefully and then throw it in the trench and cover it up.I had reason,(different cable requirement) to dig it up a few years later and it was still as good as new.Gutter tap boots can also be used for molds.

dick

Last edited:

Cavie

If your local backhole operator, unintentionally, locates your ground ring and rips it in half, what are your reconnecting options? Must it be cadwelded, or will splitbolts be permissable?

It's a design issue. Split bolts are ok with the NEC. ground rods with acorn clamps are installed underground are they not?????

TxEngr

The problem with split bolts buried underground is that you'll never know if they're holding up. Although allowed, the question is should you use them. If it was me, I would Cadweld with a new piece of cable. Then I would never have to doubt the integrity of the ground grid. I've had too many issues over the years with grounding to take a short cut. Just my 2 cents.

TxEngr

Status
Not open for further replies.