ground rod for remote sub-panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gserve

In a mobile home park I am installing a sub panel off of a meter pedestal that is about 200' away. The sub panel is a 2 circuit ,30A feeder for entrance and sign lighting. Because this is more than 1 circuit do I need to drive a ground rod? NOTE : This panel is not going to be installed on or in a building. It is going to be installed on a 4 X 4 post in the middle of an island that separates the in and out entrances. Comments Please.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: ground rod for remote sub-panel

A seperate building or structure always requires a grounding electrode system (ground rod, normally two), unless it is served by a single branch circuit. Your sign and service constitute a "structure", see NEC Article 100 definition. Also you should run a four wire feeder to your panel and do not reground the neutral.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Unlike Tom Baker I do not think that the sign or entrance post qualify as a structure. But I do think that the addition of a grounding electrode system would be best practice none the less. If the entrance lighting will be pole mounted I would go so far as placing bare EGC in the trenches to each pole and run it through the clamp on a rod at each pole.
--
Tom

iwire

Staff member

What is not a structure as defined by the NEC?

2002 NEC Article 100

Structure. That which is built or constructed.
That is the entire definition from article 100; this covers anything I can think of.

This has been added it is not in the 1999 NEC.

[ March 31, 2003, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

A change was made in the 1996 NEC to clarify that lighting poles do not each require a disconnect. Some AHJ's were calling lighting poles "structures" and were requiring disconnects. However a sign, or even a disconnect on a post is a structure.

iwire

Staff member

Tom, that is good to know as the 2002 NEC definition of structure would seem to indicate that a site pole is a "structure"

Where would I find the article that says it is not?

It sure would look funny to see a parking lot full of disconnects.
:roll:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Bob,
225.32 Ex #3. It really doesn't say that the light pole is not a structure, it just say that the pole doesn't require a disconnect.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.