Ground Rod Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I want your own interpretation in brief my dear friend for Mikeholt may not be available for further discussion.
Do you think the video is inaccurate?

You asked why equipotential bonding around the pool is necessary, and the answer is explained in detail in the first couple minutes; to reduce the effect of NEV.

Why should it be left to chance?Can we not safeguard ourselves against this risk?
By covering the planet in a sheet of copper to eliminate any possibility of electrical shock? :slaphead:

Perhaps it would be good for you to review this:

90.1(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.

What exactly are you trying to achieve here?

kwired

Electron manager
Do you think the video is inaccurate?

You asked why equipotential bonding around the pool is necessary, and the answer is explained in detail in the first couple minutes; to reduce the effect of NEV.

By covering the planet in a sheet of copper to eliminate any possibility of electrical shock? :slaphead:

Perhaps it would be good for you to review this:

Maybe we could cover the planet with insulating material instead.

Not using grounded conductors as current carrying conductors would be a good start. That will not solve all extraneous voltage problems, but likely will get most of them.

SG-1

You made a general comment in post no.71

Which I still stand by.

According to the source you referenced the system voltage is 22K ot 80K & only 8 amps of current back through the earth. I do not consider that a low impedance termination. If only the earth had come with terminals this whole electrical thing would be so much simpler.

My comment was made in context with 240/120 volt residential applications.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

The most dangerous aspect to a residence losing the grounded conductor is that electronic devices will smoke & the house can burn to the ground as 240 volts divides unevenly across the 120 volt loads that are now in series with each other across a 240 volt source.

That is just a possibility.Has that happened anywhere in U.S? Please give the statistics.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

My goal is to establish as a practice comparing of ground resistance of ground continuity conductor
with that of neutral at the supply transformer side.The ground resistance of ground continuity conductor should be lower so that the touch voltages will be lower.If the ground resistance of ground continuity conductor is higher,efforts should be taken to reduce its ground resistance by connecting the ground continuity conductor more to the ground.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Which I still stand by.

According to the source you referenced the system voltage is 22K ot 80K & only 8 amps of current back through the earth. I do not consider that a low impedance termination.

That only 8 amps of current back through the earth does not mean that touch voltage would be lower because of the system high voltage.The article under 'safety' describes how to achieve low impedance earth connection so that the SWER can operate safely.

SG-1

That only 8 amps of current back through the earth does not mean that touch voltage would be lower because of the system high voltage.The article under 'safety' describes how to achieve low impedance earth connection so that the SWER can operate safely.

Never said it was not "safe".

It seems to be the most economical means to bring electrification to remote low density customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.