Ground Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

During a recent discussion the topic of residential ground rods came up . It was mentioned that two ground rods are necessary on a service change. :confused: Can someone help: Is this correct ? Where would it be found in the NEC ?

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: Ground Rods

Originally posted by mjc:
During a recent discussion the topic of residential ground rods came up . It was mentioned that two ground rods are necessary on a service change. :confused: Can someone help: Is this correct ? Where would it be found in the NEC ?
Drive two rods and go home by code...

hurk27

What the NEC says is that if you can not meet the 25 ohm requirement then drive one more rode and no father measurements are needed.
A lot of inspectors have been requiring two rods unless you can prove that you have less than 25 ohms but this is kind of like guilty before innocent. so most drive two rods just to save arguement.

earlydean

Wait a minute here. In defense of the inspector, it is the responsibility of the contractor to perform all tests required and the inspector to witness all tests required. It is also the responsibility if the contractor to schedule these tests with the inspector. If you call for an inspection, and are not ready with the test instruments all set up, then it is a valid assumption that you are not going to do the 25 ohm test. In that case, it is alsao assumed you did not pass the 25 ohm test, and 2 ground rods are required.

dereckbc

Staff member

Wayne and Earl, I was a bit short in my answer. I did reference 250.56 which explains the 25 ohm objective. You are correct that one rod can be used provided you can prove it. My point is why bother? Just drive two rods and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.