Ground Symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

What are the differences between these 2 ground symbols? I believe one (without the circle number 5017) should be on a piece of equipment one time at the terminal where the main service ground is located. The other symbol (with a circle number 5019) is for any other terminals that are bonding hazardous and accessible components to ground. These are IEC 60417 symbols, so I would like to answer this from an IEC reference frame.

5017.jpg 5019.jpg

fifty60

Thanks, I actually already visited that page. My problem is when to actually use symbol 5017 instead of 5019. Should 5019 only be used one time on a piece of equipment? Should a terminal that is used, for example, for bonding a removable panel to ground, use 5017 or 5019?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks, I actually already visited that page. My problem is when to actually use symbol 5017 instead of 5019. Should 5019 only be used one time on a piece of equipment? Should a terminal that is used, for example, for bonding a removable panel to ground, use 5017 or 5019?

The protective conductor connecting points shall have no other function and are not intended, for example, to attach or connect appliances or parts. Each protective conductor connecting point shall be marked or labeled as such using the symbol IEC 60417-5019 or with the letters PE, the graphical symbol being preferred, or by use of the bicolour combination GREEN-AND-YELLOW, or by any combination of these.

I take that to mean a dedicated hole. As opposed to a (for example) cover screw or attachment bolt where a grounding terminal may be landed.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
IMO, the only time you should use 5017 regarding electrical equipment is for direct-to-earth connections. All other electrical equipment reasons, use 5019.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
And exactly what do you think an earth ground is? ...vs. protective earth (PE)? ... and which to use regarding electrical equipment?

An earth ground as opposed to a chassis ground.

Take note where the term earth (ground) is used.

No. 5017 Earth (ground): To identify an earth (ground) terminal in cases where neither the symbol 5018 nor 5019 is explicitly stated.

No. 5018 Noiseless (clean) earth (ground): To identify a noiseless (clean) earth (ground) terminal, e.g. of a specially designed earthing (grounding) system to avoid causing malfunction of the equipment.

No. 5019 Protective earth (ground): To identify any terminal which is intended for connection to an external conductor for protection against electrical shock in case of a fault, or the terminal of a protective earth (ground) electrode.

No. 5020 Frame or chassis: To identify a frame or chassis terminal.

Also take note that only 5019 mentions the terminal of an electrode.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
An earth ground as opposed to a chassis ground.

Take note where the term earth (ground) is used.

Also take note that only 5019 mentions the terminal of an electrode.
Don't get hung up on the definitions. Read the "Applying the symbols" section that follows, and note it doesn't include 5017... and unless we're discussing electronics or extremely sensitive gear here, 5018 "clean" ground and 5020 chassis ground are out of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.