Ground Wire Buried Above Ductbank

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbt260

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Time and time again I have seen ductbank details that show a bare ground wire (usually 4/0) buried 12" above a concrete encased ductbank. It is not required by the NEC. Is anyone aware of the reason for this? Is there a history to this practice?

Thanks,

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have had clients that wanted a bare copper ground wire imbedded in the concrete between the conduits. But I have never come across a ground wire outside the concrete envelope. I cannot think of any purpose it would serve.

Razzap

It could be a counterpoise. I once installed a bare copper wire above underground lighting conductors at an airport runway. It has something to do with shielding the conductors from lightning strikes. This was a long time ago and I have forgotten all the details. Hope this helps.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Time and time again I have seen ductbank details that show a bare ground wire (usually 4/0) buried 12" above a concrete encased ductbank. It is not required by the NEC. Is anyone aware of the reason for this? Is there a history to this practice?

Thanks,

What sort of sites and run distances have you seen this for?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Like Charlie, I have seen in the duct bank concrete but never above it....maybe it is just a very expensive "dig-in" warning:)

Status
Not open for further replies.