Grounded conductor at switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
In reference to NEC Art. 404.2, I don't really like the words "occupiable spaces". I understand habitable rooms, (rooms that we congregate, live in, sleep in.) This section calls out bathrooms, hallways, stairways. habitable rooms, and occupiable spaces. Let's say I have two three-way switches in my kitchen controlling 10 can lights. Am I required to have a neutral at one of the switches? Kitchens are not listed as one of the rooms in 404.2. IMO they are not habitable. I don't hang out in my kitchen and chit chat with buddies. But occupiable spaces????? If I go in my attic or a crawl space under my house, those spaces are now occupied by ME! So I guess those are now occupiable spaces! I look forward to your thoughts.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 2015 edition of the International Building Code, in Chapter 2, contains the following definition: ”Habitable Space. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces."
So a kitchen is a habitable space per the building code.
The following is from a building code discussion group.
HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.
COMMENTARY; These spaces are normally considered inhabited in the course of residential living and provide the four basic characteristics associated with it: living, sleeping, eating and cooking. All habitable spaces are considered occupiable spaces, though other occupiable spaces, such as halls or utility rooms, are not considered habitable (see the definition of “Occupiable space” in this chapter).
OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for amusement, educational or similar purposes or in which occupants are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements of this code.
COMMENTARY; Occupiable spaces are those areas designed for human occupancy. Based on the nature of the occupancy, various code sections apply. All habitable spaces are also considered occupiable (see the definition of “Habitable space”); however, all occupiable spaces are not habitable. Additionally, some spaces are neither habitable nor occupiable, such as closets, toilet rooms and mechanical equipment rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.