Grounded Conductor Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm having a brain lapse and can't find a code article/requirement. Where does it say not to use a cabinet for a path for the grounded conductor? After I find this I have something else to find that supposedly changed in the 2017 for the EGC in a cabinet.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Its in that article I always forget exists: 200.2(B) 2014. Not sure if its the same in 2017.

I just found it and was about to post when I saw this!:)

The reason I was looking is I had an inspector tell me that because I added a ground bar to an existing panel that I had to run a jumper between the two ground bars. These were not neutral bars, I had to separate the grounds and neutrals because I installed a service rated transfer switch and it made the existing main panel a sub panel.

I asked him why was that and he said it was similar to 200.2(B). I told him that was for current depending on the cabinet for continuity not the EGC. He said it changed in the 2017 but couldn't tell me exactly where it was. All he said was in 250 somewhere!:rant:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are many mentions of continuity in article 250 but none states what your inspector is saying. We attach the equipment grounding conductor to boxes all the time which in term get connected to another box via conduit and then attached back to the box.

If that change is there I would demand he show it to me

Status
Not open for further replies.